Toni

Education for Moms

24 posts in this topic

What kinds of things do you do for your own education? I LOVE learning with my kids, but I also like learning things just on my own. I would love to hear your places to go to learn (online or in person). 

Here are some of the ways I learn:

• podcasts
  • books, books, and more books!
  • online webinars
  • ebooks

Here are a few sites that I love:

2 people like this

Definitely books!! I have done ultimate bundles, they are great! I just got the blogging bundle to work on improving my blog. The other ideas are great too but I tend to forget to check them so books are definitely my favorite! This weekend I'm attending the Mother Earth News fair and hoping to learn a lot about homesteading and self sufficiency there. I also like old fashioned print magazines!

2 people like this

I like this, but I can't seem to find time for me to do anything I should or want to do for me.  I need to just get my act together.  9_9

1 person likes this

I read when I can fit it in. Sometimes it is a book, sometimes it is an online resource. As our children got older, I found it easier to grab a few minutes here and there throughout the week. It cane a challenge for sure, but it helps our children learn to be patient when they see Mom has her own learning to do.

1 person likes this

I find that there are weeks or months or years that I can do very little and others that I can do a bit more (never really a lot though). I've also learned to keep books strategically placed (by my chair where I nurse, in my purse and/or diaper bag, in the car), same with magazines, have ebooks on my phone (I don't prefer to read them this way but better than browsing facebook when I have a few quiet minutes). I'm still trying to find a good way to keep up with blogs and podcasts that will make it convenient when I have a few minutes. I have to be prepared and make it easy to do a bit any chance I get. 

2 people like this

On 10/20/2017 at 9:54 PM, Sabrina S said:

Definitely books!! I have done ultimate bundles, they are great! I just got the blogging bundle to work on improving my blog. The other ideas are great too but I tend to forget to check them so books are definitely my favorite! This weekend I'm attending the Mother Earth News fair and hoping to learn a lot about homesteading and self sufficiency there. I also like old fashioned print magazines!

Love Ultimate Bundles! I also like print magazines. And print books.

1 person likes this

On 10/20/2017 at 9:54 PM, Zekesmom10 said:

I like this, but I can't seem to find time for me to do anything I should or want to do for me.  I need to just get my act together.  9_9

For me, it has been more recently as my boys have gotten older and able to do work on their own without me having to sit right beside them. The seasons of motherhood (and life) change and I'm now in prep mode for when they are all gone and making their way in the world :o!

Books are my favorite, but here's some things that I'm reading/doing, since I cannot just read one full book at a time, too much to learn! ;)

1. Free food and Medicine, Worldwide Edible Plant Guide by Markus Rothkranz and

2. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fermenting Foods, by Wardeh Harmon

3. My 'Vision Book' journal for writing the visions and words the Lord has given our family over the years, months, to go back to for helping with focus, moving forward and encouragement.

4. Our favorite magazine, "Answers In Genesis", by Ken Hamm; 

5. But I also love to listen/watch Patrick Gentempo, who created a few docuseries, that have taught me so much, in different areas. He has recently released ChristRevealed series, which was awesome! But I first watched some of his very tough subjects he addressed (as if Jesus isn't a controversial subject enough!), in VaccinesRevealed and GMOsRevealed docuseries, all very thoroughly investigated, and done very well!

1 hour ago, Crystal Starr said:

I so want to go to the Bible college my church has.  Maybe some day! 

I would love to take classes through Liberty University (they have most programs available online and a great discount for military spouses)  but I'm still praying for more specific direction for that. 

On 12/4/2017 at 1:38 AM, PhilangCBll@protonmail.com said:

Books are my favorite, but here's some things that I'm reading/doing, since I cannot just read one full book at a time, too much to learn! ;)

1. Free food and Medicine, Worldwide Edible Plant Guide by Markus Rothkranz and

2. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fermenting Foods, by Wardeh Harmon

3. My 'Vision Book' journal for writing the visions and words the Lord has given our family over the years, months, to go back to for helping with focus, moving forward and encouragement.

4. Our favorite magazine, "Answers In Genesis", by Ken Hamm; 

5. But I also love to listen/watch Patrick Gentempo, who created a few docuseries, that have taught me so much, in different areas. He has recently released ChristRevealed series, which was awesome! But I first watched some of his very tough subjects he addressed (as if Jesus isn't a controversial subject enough!), in VaccinesRevealed and GMOsRevealed docuseries, all very thoroughly investigated, and done very well!

I just added #1 to my wishlist, it sounds great thanks!! I already have #2 but need to sit down and look it over. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Sabrina S said:

I just added #1 to my wishlist, it sounds great thanks!! I already have #2 but need to sit down and look it over. 

You're welcome Sabrina, I have learned so much from the #1 book! We actually closed off our back room for storage this winter, so I got a bright idea (well according to the hubby, it is a complete mess !). I decided to use it to store all my dried herbs from the garden and medicinal plants that I found in nature, pictured in the book, which I am using for our herbal teas for the cold/flu season! ? The book is so detailed and the pictures really help in my research, since they fairly easy to not confuse with any look a likes that are not for human consumption. Wardeh is great! Traditional Cooking with Wardeh, or GNOWFLINGS, her site, has helped greatly with other areas of healthy eating, and such! I had wanted to do more research on fermenting, so I was so excited when I ended up in our local Rescue Mission, thrift store, and found her book! The Lord knew I had asked Him for a book on fermentation (the desire of my heart is to help my family heal naturally, with food), and it was nice to have Him lead me to get that book, from a sister in the Lord! He is so good to us! ?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the details, sound wonderful!! Yes, I'm familiar with Wardeh and GNOWFGLINS. I was a member of her classes for quite a while when she first kicked off her membership site. I'm not anymore now that i have a pretty good handle on cooking traditional/whole/wapf foods but it was so so very helpful when we first started changing the way we eat! 

1 person likes this

She is great! I would have loved to take some of her classes, but never ended up doing it. Now, I just check out some of her different subjects she covers, hoping I can glean some from her wisdom! What are 'wapf' foods? Do you do a sourdough bread, I hesitate, somewhat, in areas where I'm not quite sure what I am doing!? I cut out of our diet, a lot of breads, granola's, chips, etc. and mostly use rice and quinoa, but we are needing a change! I've noticed, lately, that we have been snacking on more 'wheat' type products, again. ? I would like to allow some reintroduction, but sourdough is suppose to help with the enzymes, I believe, breaking them down for better absorption. I so would rather do that with some sprouted wheat berries to make a more digestible bread. Do you know about it? I want to get over this hurdle and just do it, but the 'how' to do it right, gets in my way! ?

1 person likes this

WAPF= Weston A Price Foundation. That is what Wardeh teaches. 

I have done sourdough in the past, I even made my own starter. But my family is now Gluten free out of necessity. I haven't yet tried doing GF sourdough because the flour is so expensive to have to feed it every day. Maybe someday I will but I'm not terribly motivated right now. I do soak beans and rice. I should probably try soaking oats. I do think sourdough was easier to digest and it really isn't hard at all once you get in the routine of it. I haven't looked in a while but at one point Wardeh had all of her classes in ebook format and you could just buy the books. If you did that you don't get the videos, audios or access to the forum but you get all of the directions and recipes in print. Maybe that would work for you if it is still an option. 

1 person likes this

I like reading, and sometime listening to podcasts.

Our library is a great resource, and they have a lot of The Great Courses and educational DVDs.

3 people like this

On 12/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, carolemmert14@gmail.com said:

I like reading, and sometime listening to podcasts.

Our library is a great resource, and they have a lot of The Great Courses and educational DVDs.

Ohhhh I never thought to check the library for The Great Courses!! Awesome!

My hubby is encouraging me to sign up for the online university that is free (just testing fees)...I'm holding off right now.

1 person likes this

On 12/14/2017 at 7:19 AM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

My hubby is encouraging me to sign up for the online university that is free (just testing fees)...I'm holding off right now.

That sounds interesting. I definitely don't have time for anything like that right now but sounds like a neat option.

I read. Lots of books. And online. I do pretty good reading ahead of my daughter who is hitting high school classes now and I need to brush up and become familiar with ideas/concepts/literature that I haven't dealt with in a while or never had to. Like Frankenstein - never had to read that in high school or college. But I needed to read it before my oldest daughter got to it in literature. And Chemistry. That's a whole new world, too!

I am also now off to look at The Great Courses, Carol. I have probably heard of them but not registered what they are. 

17 hours ago, 3gigglygirlsathome@gmail.com said:

I am also now off to look at The Great Courses, Carol. I have probably heard of them but not registered what they are. 

Most of them would be at the college level, but some are high school, they are like taking a pass/fail course instead of a graded one. You see all the visuals, you hear the talks, but you don't have to stress out over taking tests! They are mostly written from an evolutionary viewpoint (for the science ones) but they are usually more focused on the actual science than the beginning point (I thinking about the nutrition and anatomy ones I've seen.) Since I've gotten them from he library, they haven't cost anything! You can purchase them yourself, and they frequently have sales, but I would definitely suggest checking out your library's collection first.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Sabrina S said:

WAPF= Weston A Price Foundation. That is what Wardeh teaches. 

I have done sourdough in the past, I even made my own starter. But my family is now Gluten free out of necessity. I haven't yet tried doing GF sourdough because the flour is so expensive to have to feed it every day. Maybe someday I will but I'm not terribly motivated right now. I do soak beans and rice. I should probably try soaking oats. I do think sourdough was easier to digest and it really isn't hard at all once you get in the routine of it. I haven't looked in a while but at one point Wardeh had all of her classes in ebook format and you could just buy the books. If you did that you don't get the videos, audios or access to the forum but you get all of the directions and recipes in print. Maybe that would work for you if it is still an option. 

Thank you Sabrina! I have heard of the Weston A. Price way, but never really researched it. Maybe at some point I can, but right now I have got to get back to soaking beans and rice! I did it for awhile, then got more focused on fermenting, but that's a hard one to get my family use to! So I've been just sticking to teas, that seems to work and no complaints! LOL!

1 person likes this

On 12/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, Sabrina S said:

That sounds interesting. I definitely don't have time for anything like that right now but sounds like a neat option.

I don't either right now...my youngest is still too dependent - maybe in a year or two.

1 person likes this