Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carolemmert14@gmail.com

NaNoWriMo for teens

2 posts in this topic

How many of you have had your teens participate in NaNoWriMo? National Novel Writing Month is designed to get the idea out of your head and onto he paper for a novel. For adults, the goal is 50,000 words, fortunes I think it is 20,000 words. Whether or not they reach that goal, it can be a great tool to get them writing. There are online discussion groups specifically for teens, and a to of encouragement.

Our local library hosts weekly write-ins for the teens, where they can come for an evening and work on their stories and ask questions of the other teens and the library staff. Our teen librarian is also a group board moderator. Our daughter did it last year and hit her 20,000 word goal but has kept writing on her novel and is now up to 40,000 words. I appreciated the push it gave her to write the story out, and edit later. 

If you have a teen that might be interested I suggest you check it out. It can be great way to combine writing with other subjects they like, such as history or current events.

2 people like this

Thanks for sharing I love this idea!!! I really want to do NaNoWriMo myself some year, and I'd love my older daughter to try as well. November is a rough month for us though as the last half of the month is full of Operation Christmas Child activities, in which we are heavily involved so I have yet to figure out how to make it work.....it would end up being national novel writers 2 weeks for us lol.