mphavens214@att.net

Lets talk instapot

28 posts in this topic

Okay Everyone,

Pro's/Con's about this infamous instapot I keep hearing about?

What do you love?  Favorite Recipes?  What do you dislike?

Its getting to be that time when Christmas gifts are being purchased............

:x

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, mphavens214@att.net said:

Okay Everyone,

Pro's/Con's about this infamous instapot I keep hearing about?

What do you love?  Favorite Recipes?  What do you dislike?

Its getting to be that time when Christmas gifts are being purchased............

:x

Following this thread!!!  Thanks for the information--Kim

1 person likes this

I love mine! I use it quite a few times a week - even more in the winter! I made an amazing chicken and dumplings last night !!!!

1 person likes this

Love this thread! I do not have one yet but I keep hearing friends rave about it. My question is: what is the size? I have an oval crockpot that easily fits a whole chicken and some veggies. Would a whole chicken fit in the Instapot?

On 10/26/2017 at 9:06 AM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

I love mine! I use it quite a few times a week - even more in the winter! I made an amazing chicken and dumplings last night !!!!

Do share the recipe please?  

7 hours ago, Toni said:

Love this thread! I do not have one yet but I keep hearing friends rave about it. My question is: what is the size? I have an oval crockpot that easily fits a whole chicken and some veggies. Would a whole chicken fit in the Instapot?

hmmmm, good question.  my crockpot is horrible at cooking evenly, but is oval not round.  So I am curious too?

I love my instant pot!! I wish I had the bigger version though but that's ok. I like that I can forget to soak beans or rice and still cook them in an hour or less. I also like that in a pinch I can forget to thaw meat and still cook it in a reasonable amount of time. I need to find some good recipes and put it to more use really. 

There is a big 8qt instapot that I think you could fit a whole chicken in. I have the 6qt and I could fit a small one in but not much else. 

1 person likes this

We absolutely love our InstantPot.  We use it almost daily.  I *do* hate the counter-space it takes up, so I make sure to keep a spot in the lower cabinet so I can stash it in between uses.  I use this almost exclusively for cooking chicken - it is so fast, even from frozen, and the chicken comes out so moist.  (I have not done a whole chicken from frozen, and not sure I would)  I cook burger in it for various recipes -- sometimes just freezing the cooked burger, other times, adding it to the veggies that are already cooking on the stove.  We have used it as a slow cooker, or for quicker cooking of slow cooker recipes (because someone forgot to start supper early enough, ahem).  We hard-boil eggs in it (they peel easily every.single.time).  If I am steaming cauliflower to make cauliflower mash, I always do it in the IP.  In the summer, I set it on the table right outside the kitchen when cooking in it -- it keeps the kitchen cooler.  We've just started burning wood in the woodstove, so it stays in and adds some humidity to the air.  I have two inner pots and extra seals.  I've cooked chicken for dinner in one pot, pulled the pot and finished the sauce, etc. with the chicken while the 2nd pot is cooking the veg. to go with the meal.  The extra seals are because chili-flavored cheesecake is not good.  Yes, cheesecake.  I have to use a smaller (and deeper) pan, but we love, love, love cheesecake from the InstantPot.  Traditional Cooking School with Wardeh Harmon has some other great uses (she uses it to heat leftovers with no microwave).  I've not used it to make yogurt but many do.  I have the 8 qt (we are a family of 8) and have not found anything yet that I cannot cook in it.  I borrowed my MIL off-brand before ordering mine.  I would stick with the IP brand.  The steamer insert did not allow for much to be cooked in the other and the heating time (before it reaches pressure) took much, much longer in the off brand.

2 people like this

We bought one because we live in a travel trailer and appreciated the ability to downsize our appliances. We previously had a rice cooker/steamer and a crockpot. Because we usually are parked in church parking lots (the churches where we sing, not random churches), we don't have enough power to use the rice cooker and the crockpot at the same time, so we got rid of both and bought an Instie.

I like the speed. I like cooking soup, etc. with a secure lid so there's no chance of it being spilled onto somebody. I like the speed with which it cooks. I love that I can forget about it, because I would forget about it anyway, and this way it's still salvageable. #bubblehead.

It's sometimes too small for us. We are a family of 10 and we have the six-quart. While a six-quart crock pot is okay, the Instie is not because you can only fill it 2/3 of the way--need room for steam. I would love the eight-quart.

We use ours quite a bit for bone stock and yogurt. We have a daughter with Crohn's disease and TRY to be careful about our children's gut health, although the potluck ladies like to sabotage us. Love those ladies!

I want to try cheesecake like Hillary! You're now my hero. 

On 10/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

I NEEEEEEED this recipe or I may not survive the winter. :)

Chicken and Dumplings - This is for my 8 quart my family loves to have leftovers for lunch :)

Chicken Breasts -about 5lbs

5 sticks celery

5 carrots

1 package frozen corn

I package frozen green beans

1 onion

2 chicken oxo's

4 tablespoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons Thyme

2 tablespoon Basil

I tablespoon oregano

10 cups chicken stock

pepper

(to thicken after cooking)

1 cup cream

6 tablespoons cornstarch and ½ cup water

For dumplings

3 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Pepper (pinch)

Thyme (pinch)

(I just guess water)

Cut up chicken, celery, carrots, and onion. Cook on browner setting - add garlic and continue to cook till chicken is slightly brown.

Add 2 chicken oxo's (or other chicken bouillon cubes) and other spices and chicken stock. Seal and cook on high ( I normally do 10-15 minutes) - make dumplings mixture now.

Do quick release - add in frozen veg, cream and cornstarch and water mixture (stir). Turn pot back on (browner not pressure) place dumplings on top and cover (I have a glass lid) until dumplings are cooked (make sure not to leave the heat on too long in case it burns.

Serve in bowls (not plates as it's like soup).

4 people like this

27 minutes ago, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

Chicken and Dumplings - This is for my 8 quart my family loves to have leftovers for lunch :)

Chicken Breasts -about 5lbs

5 sticks celery

5 carrots

1 package frozen corn

I package frozen green beans

1 onion

2 chicken oxo's

4 tablespoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons Thyme

2 tablespoon Basil

I tablespoon oregano

10 cups chicken stock

pepper

(to thicken after cooking)

1 cup cream

6 tablespoons cornstarch and ½ cup water

For dumplings

3 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Pepper (pinch)

Thyme (pinch)

(I just guess water)

Cut up chicken, celery, carrots, and onion. Cook on browner setting - add garlic and continue to cook till chicken is slightly brown.

Add 2 chicken oxo's (or other chicken bouillon cubes) and other spices and chicken stock. Seal and cook on high ( I normally do 10-15 minutes) - make dumplings mixture now.

Do quick release - add in frozen veg, cream and cornstarch and water mixture (stir). Turn pot back on (browner not pressure) place dumplings on top and cover (I have a glass lid) until dumplings are cooked (make sure not to leave the heat on too long in case it burns.

Serve in bowls (not plates as it's like soup).

YUM!!!!  I know what I am making this weekend.  Thank you for sharing...can't wait to try this.  Kim 

Has everyone basically replaced their crock pot with the new Instapot?    I use a crockpot all the time, and just wondering if you all do away with one in favor of the other, or still use both?

Question about heat: does it make the kitchen as hot as say the oven or more like a crock-pot (some heat, but not bad in the summer)? Also, does it need to be used in an open space as opposed to on a counter with overhead cabinets?

I only used my instant pot once so far. I did like that I could sauté the onions and cook the meat all in one place. I made hamburger soup and it only took about 10 minutes once I had to set the pressure. I felt it was missing something so don't ask for the recipe as I tossed it....lol 

I feel intimadated when I use it.....I am kinda scared of it....afraid I might blow something up.

One of my friends on FB (and in real life) put a whole chicken in her Instapot and it finished cooking.   Several hours later she was still trying to figure out how to get the lid off.  I don't know if it was a glitch on her end or the pots fault, but reading all her comments about her chicken being held hostage was both funny and disconcerting all at the same time.

1 person likes this

We don't eat meat or dairy so any of those things are not important to us.  I've had mine a couple of years now and I love it for batch cooking.  We eat a lot of potatoes, rice and beans.  I make enough potatoes for a week every week.  I make rice once a month and freeze and store in one cup portions.  I do the same with beans.  I like often double soup recipes and use it in soup or slow cooker mode so that I can have both the IP and my slow cooker going at once.  

Scrolling through, no it does not release heat into the kitchen.  The lid gets hot so watch out.  But other than that it is fine.  

You can completely replace your crockpot with it.  I still have mine because I cook and big batches and want both going together often enough.  

I use mine on a counter with the cabinets above.  If I release the pressure by hand I will turn it and scoot it out away from the cabinet so the steam goes into the room instead of up under my cabinets.  

On 11/9/2017 at 8:24 AM, kkent said:

YUM!!!!  I know what I am making this weekend.  Thank you for sharing...can't wait to try this.  Kim 

Did you try it???

On 12/22/2017 at 9:27 AM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

Did you try it???

Yes I did!   My family loved it.  I can't wait to try other recipes!   

I read that the Instant was the number one searched item for purchase online this Christmas, so I imagine there are a lot of new owners out there looking for recipes. 

I'm curious to see Hillary's recipe for cheesecake!

On 12/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, carolemmert14@gmail.com said:

I read that the Instant was the number one searched item for purchase online this Christmas, so I imagine there are a lot of new owners out there looking for recipes. 

I'm curious to see Hillary's recipe for cheesecake!

Right now I only have the recipe available in our new cookbook, Keto Family Cooking.  I'm still trying to get the shopping cart set up to sell it from my website.  It is also available in the Healthy Meal Planning bundle (referral link) https://us154.isrefer.com/go/HMPB2018/a378/  I hope to get the store/shopping cart ready by Monday the 8th.  :D

I want one. I just forget to ask for one until I hear discussions on them!

From what I've heard they are suppose to be much safer than pressure cookers. I like how quick they cook.

We don't have one and I've wondered if it's worth the investment. It seems most people LOVE theirs. I may have to see if I can find one eventually. 

Thanks for this discussions, everyone!