Zekesmom10

Christmas (yes, I said it)

15 posts in this topic

My kids are chomping at the bit for Thanksgiving so they can watch their Christmas movies, especially the Polar Express.  I will cave before then for Christmas music, though.  We just got our kickstarter box from Slugs & Bugs and it has the new Sings the Bible Christmas CD in it.

When does the Christmas season officially start for your family?  Assuming you celebrate Christmas, I know some Christians don't.

1 person likes this

We don't do anything for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.   We don't have cable, but we do have a few Christmas movies on VHS and DVD and the kids watch them off an on all year.

1 person likes this

Husband and I are junior church directors, so we are already preparing for the children's Christmas program.  That means we have to start listening to music in October so we can start rehearsing in November.  

My husband is our personal Buddy the Elf, so he gets the kids listening to music at home early too.  I need a few more weeks before I can do movies, and I don't usually do books/activities until December.  

1 person likes this

We enjoy Christmas music year round, although I know a lot of people don't feel the same way. 

I think it mostly depends on why you're listening/ watching/ singing... if the kids getting hyped up looking for lots of presents, then you probably want to wait until after Thanksgiving, but if you're just joyful thinking about how Jesus came to save us - why not celebrate for longer? 

1 person likes this

This is a fun question.

My husband is a stickler about not listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, but last year he produced his Christmas CD in Nashville, so that meant he was writing, arranging, and rehearsing Christmas music for over a year. He and our 19-year-old daughter also sing a couple Christmas song at each concert throughout the year. That means we have Christmas music year-round.

Also, when I play their Christmas CD, that just means I'm being supportive, so he doesn't say anything. 

I humbly admit I gloat a little bit about that, since that's how I've always wanted it. Grin!

1 person likes this

We don’t have firm “rules” about it. I like to decorate early - by Dec 1st - but a few years ago we switched from an artificial tree to buying a real one each year. This means we don’t have a tree until about the 15th, which is a bummer,  it the real tree scent and look just can’t be beat, so it’s worth it. I still put the other decorations out earlier.

I’m not sure what this year will look like. We currently live with my in laws, and a month ago my husband said the goal for moving out was 12/1. When I asked him again a few days ago if that was still the goal, he said he wants to move “as soon as possible.” I know before the 1st isn’t possible, but I also truly hope that “asap” doesn’t mean “in 3 or 4 more months,” which it easily could :(

Anyway, as far as music and movies go, I have no idea. We were just informed tonight that the Thanksgiving dinner for hubby’s side of the family will be on the 18th (my family doesn’t get together for Thanksgiving), so anytime after that is fair game I suppose.

1 person likes this

We "Kick off" the Christmas season with Operation Christmas Child, which is next week!! Then we decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving generally. We also work on random acts of kindness and other "giving back" opportunities throughout December. We pretty much listen to Christmas music whenever the radio starts playing it.

1 person likes this

We started listening to Christmas music on the radio this week!  Earlier than I normally would, but since my daughter loves, loves, loves music, I thought it would be fun to have her start to learn and listen to some of our favorite Christmas hymns! 

We usually put up a tree after Thanksgiving.  I love this time of year!    

1 person likes this

I found out this week my oldest and his fiance are going to Arizona to have Thanksgiving with her mom.  So, my husband said, "Hey, let's have Thanksgiving with them this weekend."  O.o  Now my 12 yo (autistic) wants to forget about "real Thanksgiving."  When I pressed him about why he didn't want another one on the right day, he said this way he can watch The Polar Express on Sunday.  xD  He's a man with a plan.

2 people like this

I can't put up my tree until the day after Thanksgiving....if I had my choice I would put it up already. We go out the day after Thanksgiving to pick a fresh tree. Then later that night we decorate it as a family. I have however, started thinking about Christmas Crafting now. I want to make some cards and window clings...I want to explore my circuit for some ideas as well.... We are already singing Christmas songs. My Girl Scout Troop will be singing for a nursing home. The girls picked out six songs so my daughter is practicing them. The girls are also making the residents Christmas cards as well. 

1 person likes this

Wanting to do some new things this year, but not sure what they will be. I think we will start cleaning the house tomorrow so we can decorate it later this weekend.

I decorated the dining room & kitchen today, and got one of the kids to assemble the tree. It's pre-lit. All we've done is set it up and turn it on so far. We want to give my other son's therapy dog a chance to get used to it before putting ornaments on, lol!

1 person likes this

We usually decorate the 1st or 2nd weekend of November...yup. People can get really crabby towards us about it on social media and even in person! We absolutely celebrate Thanksgiving, but the Christmas season is something we find worth celebrating without the rushed feeling it can have. My husband is a pastor so Thanksgiving on is just insanely busy. Decorating early allows us to enjoy it longer and in a more relaxed way. My only rule for my husband is that we don't decorate the outside so our neighbors don't get mad at us!