Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Amanda H

Handwriting Curriculum

5 posts in this topic

I have a third grader who hates to write. His handwriting is sloppy, large and he mixes upper and lowercase letters. We have used a few different styles, but he doesn't like them. I am thinking of getting him going on cursive to see if that helps. What is your favorite curriculum to teach cursive?

I use the workbooks from Handwriting Without Tears. I have never used the teacher's manual, so I can't say anything about them, but the workbooks are easy enough to figure out. And that style of cursive fits more with how I write.

1 person likes this

I used HWOT for cursive as well.  I liked it a lot.  Very basic lettering, but still "fancy" enough.  I did get the third grade TM and it was helpful to get a feel for the few things that didn't seem immediately clear in the workbooks.  It also has some activities that link to the workbook.  I found it handy, but I haven't purchased another cursive TM since.  I did get the K level (I think) TM though because it was a bit different.

Sadly, my kids still prefer their messy, funky oddsized, half cap-half lower case writing.  So, to combat that, I'm getting some Channie's journal's for bigger kids.  We reviewed a Channie's for the littles and I liked it A LOT, so I think that will help.

1 person likes this

Ware another HWOT family.  Very much appreciate it.  I do return to it even for my oldest kids from time to time just to clean up and brush up their handwriting. 

1 person likes this

A reason for handwriting is what we have used.......its quick and takes less than 10 minutes a day 4 x's a week to do.....what we like is sending the scriptures out to people at the end of the week.

1 person likes this