Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roseacademyacademics

When does school start for you?

13 posts in this topic

I'm slowly getting my kids back into the groove of full time school. I told them this week was meet with mom and go over the subjects and new stuff so they know how to use it and how to complete the lessons and how to follow the guide given to them. 

When does school start for you?

1 person likes this

We have done some light summer schooling, but we're going to "officially" start adding in more subjects and reviewing next week.  We have a lot of dental/eye appointments coming up (after public school starts back) and then we go on vacation the week of Labor Day, so we likely won't start a full load until the second week of September.  

1 person likes this

On 8/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, momsheartblog@gmail.com said:

We have done some light summer schooling, but we're going to "officially" start adding in more subjects and reviewing next week.  We have a lot of dental/eye appointments coming up (after public school starts back) and then we go on vacation the week of Labor Day, so we likely won't start a full load until the second week of September.  

That sounds wonderful to get stared after Labor Day. I'm conflicted on whether or not we should start back full force now or wait until after Labor Day as well. I like the suggestion of reviewing and starting slowly--maybe we can get started with math and family read aloud for now. We need some structure back in our days!

1 person likes this

We haven't completely stopped but did a very reduced school load over the summer. This week we are wrapping up our summer goals and next week we will be gradually adding back in the "full load." Our schedule revolves around our CC community. My oldest starts her classes a week from Tuesday and the rest start back two weeks later but I've learned from past years that it is best to start working other stuff back in a few weeks before community starts back up.

My new school year started August 1st. We are still on our summer schedule though. I have been itching to get back into a full day because I think the kids need some structure again. If we stay on summer schedule our full days will start Sept 5. However, September 1 we are going to do a Not Back To School Kickoff. My friend and I are getting together with the kids for a day of fun. We will go out to breakfast, decorate t-shirts for the new grade, crafts, park time, board games, and I have no idea what else we have though of yet. We are making a day of it. We will also be participating in Co-Op once a week starting the middle of September. Our homeschool group is working on putting all together now that we have a space. I am super excited about that. Geesh I guess I really rambled on here.... sorry about that. 

We usually homeschool year round, with a week off as we need it. We "start" our new "grades" in January.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:20 PM, Amanda H said:

We usually homeschool year round, with a week off as we need it. We "start" our new "grades" in January.

I love this idea, but I have never been able to fully implement it in our homeschool. I'm a former public and private school teacher so we always just followed the typical school calendar.

Things are changing for us this year. My older two will be using an online charter school for high school. We still choose all our own curriculum. My youngest will be continuing as normal! So we will be starting Sept 1st this year.

We did a lot more school this summer than normal, but definitely didn't keep a full schedule going. 

Even though we don't have a real reason to, we tend to follow the public school "beginning" and "end" times. In our region, that means we start the Tuesday after Labor Day.