lissiejo

If you put up a tree, is it real or reusable?

12 posts in this topic

Ours is reusable. I'm highly allergic and can't live with a tree in the house! I burn Christmas Tree candles and get the same effect without the allergic reaction!

We use a reusable fake tree.  I actually really prefer a real tree but funds are always so tight this time of year that I can't justify it with the fake one sitting in my basement. 

We have a fake, though the bottom lights are the only ones that work on this pre-lit, I hope it will be the last year we use it! I'm missing the wonderful smell of pine in the house, since last year we finally got a real tree! Finances have kept us too, so it is what it is this year with our sad looking partially lit fake tree! :) Hopefully next year!

Fake...we talk about getting  a real one but I'm afraid it would irritate someone's allergies, it makes a mess I don't want to deal with, and I have trouble spending that kind of money on something we are just going to throw away.

What I'd really love is a real tree with the roots that you can plant after the holidays but last time I researched it you can only get a really small one and need to wait until spring to plant it because the ground here is too hard in Jan.

We have an artificial tree, but some years we go pick up a real tree just for the adventure.  I think we're getting a real one this year, but we leave trees up at least until Epiphany, so we don't get them too early.

We do artificial because of allergies but price is also a reason to continue. I could not justify the cost of a real tree in this part of the country. Growing up, we always went and dug a real one and then replanted it after Christmas.

Sabrina, we always dug the hole early in the year and left it covered by a board or something so that it was ready after the holidays for the tree to be placed. My dad also keep lots of five gallon buckets of water around. We take the ice out of those and place them all around the newly replaced dirt so that they will water the tree as they slowly melt in the winter sun. May be too late for you this year but maybe you can plan ahead for next year.

We've always done artificial.  We both grew up with artificial, mostly.  Husband because of his twin's allergies, and I can only remember a few times between both my mom and dad's house, of my mom using a real tree.  

We started out with an artificial because it was given to us the year we were married, and then just stuck with one out of habit.  Our current tree was originally a pre-lit, but when the lights started going out, my husband sat and cut ALL the lights off after Christmas because it was only a couple years old.  We've talked about doing a real tree, but I fear it would bother me and at least one of our kids, and we just never get around to trying one.  

I think I'm trashing my tree this year.  We've had it for over 15 years and I hate the thing.  If we trash it then we will either have to get a real one next year or a new prelit one.  There won't be a choice!