Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

Christmas Gift Ideas

7 posts in this topic

Let's see....

My 12 year old DD is getting sweaters (her specific request) and some art supplies, and an audio book.

8yo dd is getting art supplies and American Girl wellie wisher boots and an audio book.

6yo DS is getting a belt display for his Tae Kwan Do belts and a "tinker box" with some tools and old electronics to take apart and a robe.

2yo DS is getting a tool bag and small tool set, a stick horse, and a vtech dinosaur transformer thing.

11 month old DS is getting a walk/ride toy, a vtech dino transformer thing (yes I know it isn't exactly age appropriate) and a ball.

We also get everyone socks, new PJs and family movies. The family is getting a BB gun and a new DVD/Blue Ray player. 

Then we have a few stocking stuffers (we don't "do Santa" but we do fill their stockings, they know where it comes from). 

1 person likes this

14 year old is getting a cd player (she wore hers out on audio books)
books/videos on WWI and WWII

12 year old is getting sewing supplies and books

1 person likes this

Everyone wanted rolled blades this year, Grandma Linda found out, so now we are moving onto the next thing they all want! My oldest wants nature stuff, second oldest asked for explorer, adventure type items, the next wants builder's supplies and the youngest likes everything that has to do with crafts and dressing up! We will probably surprise them each with something unique that they enjoy, but didn't ask for, since the grandmas like to take care of those other things. Stockings are important for us too, always put some of the traditional items in, from the stories of where the stocking originated, I guess, maybe, to add to the traditions part of it all (like apples, oranges, chocolate candies coins) and a few small extras. :)

1 person likes this

I told my husband we should not get the kids a darn thing this year.  He's half in agreement.  I'm not really that mean, but they have too much stuff to manage on their own already, which means we are constantly throwing out some broken plastic crap they were given and telling them to put away the other 50 tons of junk they own.  I feel like I'm setting them up for failure when we give them more toys, or even books.  And then they get yelled at for not taking better care or cleaning up.  :(

They will get something, of course, but I'm leaning toward some sort of lesson or museum pass, dining cards, that kind of thing.  Plus they always get some pajamas.  And I might have a few audio dramas in my cart right now.  Because, *sale*.

2 people like this

I just read a really great article on giving your kids expeeriences for Christmas.   Just like you mentioned....museum passes, a trip, lessons of some sort.  My husband and I decided that our Christmas gift  next year to our kids (our kids are grown and married) that we will be taking them on a family vacation..   All expenses paid by Mom and Dad.   We did a fmaily "glamping trip" last summer and we had so much fun and great memories.  

1 person likes this

We always talk about "not getting anything" and my husband is usually the most adamant but he always gives in and thinks they need something to "open." But we do try to keep it limited, reasonable, and well thought out (not just junk). I didn't really like the "transformers" for this year for the little boys because I think they unnecessary with no actual value (doesn't require imagination, doesn't teach anything, isn't really useful) but that's what hubby picked so oh well. We have however talked most of the grandparents into doing "experiences." My mom buys us a membership somewhere, Dustin's grandma sends us money that we use for a museum membership, and his parents send money for their savings accounts and/or a family gift of some sort. My grandma sends them clothes and a book. So that all works pretty well. B-days are similar. 

Next year I'm hoping to have my act together enough to give them mostly homemade gifts. Dolls, doll clothes, and other made toys or whatever. This year was too busy. 

We don't give much outside of our kids. All of our parents and grandparents get a photo book that I put together with photos from the whole year. That has gone over well and is simple and relatively affordable (I usually have a shutterfly coupon). I usually (again not quite together this year) give homemade gifts when I need something, I make crocheted ornaments for ornament exchanges, and give something canned or homemade extracts for gift exchanges, teacher gifts etc. We do cookies for mail, trash etc.