Nickels4338@msn.com

Do you think listening order of audio drama important?

10 posts in this topic

I am a grandma and I have purchased these for my 6 and 9 year old grand kids that are in public school. Since I am not teaching them (with a curriculum) does anyone have a suggestion as to what order makes sense? My first thought is chronological...but then maybe it would be easier to start with the more familiar US based ones (Lee and Captain Bailey)  and go backwards?  I tried listening to Dragon and Raven (7 chapters) with my 6 yr old grandson but he seemed only engaged if I would give a brief intro and summary before each chapter, then remind him whose talking and where they are (by looking at the read along - he's too young to do this)...otherwise he lost interest. My time with them is short...I guess I should look at the study guides too to see what points I need to introduce or just try listening first?  To be honest, although I like the dramas and think they are very well done,  they tend to run together in my mind and its hard to remember what each of them are about so I have a hard time summarizing them... Any ideas/feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Your six yo grand is a little young, maybe.  My boys (5, 10, 12) listen best in the car.  There are fewer distractions.  When I'm a passenger, I just like to stare out the window and think.  I'd say my boys are mostly the same.  In the house, there is the phone, computer, TV, toys, pets, chores... So much potential for doing something else.  But in the car, they're imaginations are captive.  xD  I do, sometimes, have to pause a section and explain an event or saying, but they're pretty focused.

As for order, I'd let them have some input into which one sounds most interesting.  And, yes, the US ones will probably be more "familiar" if you want to stick to that.  But Cat of Bubastes (ancient Egypt) was a favorite here.  I might put off In the Reign of Terror for a bit, especially for sensitive souls.  We went through them in release order *except* Lee in Virginia and Freedom's Cause, because I did not get those when they came out, but just ordered them.

Hope that helps.  And maybe someone else will chime in, too!

1 person likes this

I definitely think that the Cat of Bubastes would be a good place to start. We listen to them in the car as well, or while doing chores like folding laundry. If your grandson likes legos, you could play the audios  in the background while he builds.

2 people like this

We love them all! I think with Henty you could start at the beginning time wise but also just go with whatever time period you are studying. My son is 9 and we have been listening to these as a family since they started :) we love them all!

2 people like this

On 12/9/2017 at 3:25 AM, Nickels4338@msn.com said:

I am a grandma and I have purchased these for my 6 and 9 year old grand kids that are in public school. Since I am not teaching them (with a curriculum) does anyone have a suggestion as to what order makes sense? My first thought is chronological...but then maybe it would be easier to start with the more familiar US based ones (Lee and Captain Bailey)  and go backwards?  I tried listening to Dragon and Raven (7 chapters) with my 6 yr old grandson but he seemed only engaged if I would give a brief intro and summary before each chapter, then remind him whose talking and where they are (by looking at the read along - he's too young to do this)...otherwise he lost interest. My time with them is short...I guess I should look at the study guides too to see what points I need to introduce or just try listening first?  To be honest, although I like the dramas and think they are very well done,  they tend to run together in my mind and its hard to remember what each of them are about so I have a hard time summarizing them... Any ideas/feedback appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think the 6 year old is too young! My now 9 year old has loved them for year!

2 people like this

On 12/14/2017 at 6:28 AM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

I don't think the 6 year old is too young! My now 9 year old has loved them for year!

Thank you all for your input!!! The Cat of Bubastes is one of the 2 we DONT have. But I tried Beric the Briton since we have read and talked about the Storekeeper series and are familiar with that time frame. I think that drama was easier for the 6 year old to understand.  I agree the car is ideal but I usually I see them at their house where there are a lot of distractions. I let them listen while doing homework... not sure if that interfered with their homework effort but they wanted to listen to more the next day :) Thanks again.

They seem to be coming out with them at a faster rate.  You'll start trying to do it chronologically and they will come up with a new one that messes that up! haha!  Or at least that's what would happen to me.  

We always listen to them in the car, especially on longer car trips. Our first was In Freedom's Cause, so we have definitely not listened in any sort of order, just the order when they have been released. 

And you can make a game out of it, too. I like to have my son draw pictures about what we have listened to, or we act out stories, etc.