Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabrina S

I did it!

15 posts in this topic

I did it. I withdrew from our coop. After 7 years with this program, we are making a big change. I feel fine about the curriculum aspect but hope my kids don't rebel that they won't be seeing their friends weekly. I have plans to make up for that but it won't be right away. Part of my plan now that we don't have this mid week disruption to our schedule is to focus on obedience, routines, and diligence on chores. Once those things have improved we can look at adding in other activities. Anyway I just wanted to share that I made a change I knew was needed but was sort of dreading actually doing! 

2 people like this

Congratulations!  I think it's a great time to make the change.  Focus on Christmas and family.  Praying it all goes smoothly!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Sabrina S said:

I did it. I withdrew from our coop. After 7 years with this program, we are making a big change. I feel fine about the curriculum aspect but hope my kids don't rebel that they won't be seeing their friends weekly. I have plans to make up for that but it won't be right away. Part of my plan now that we don't have this mid week disruption to our schedule is to focus on obedience, routines, and diligence on chores. Once those things have improved we can look at adding in other activities. Anyway I just wanted to share that I made a change I knew was needed but was sort of dreading actually doing! 

Change is difficult but good!  Keep us posted.  Kim

1 person likes this

Good luck!  Maybe you can find a co-op that's more for fun and enrichment and less formal academics.  We belong to one like that.  It is laid back and only meets twice a month.  Much more doable for US than other co-ops.  

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone, everybody has been very understanding and supporting so that has helped a lot. I'm just trying to catch up on my to-do list these next few weeks so I don't feel perpetually behind and we are going to focus on chores, routines, and behaviors for a while in the new year. 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:45 AM, Crystal Starr said:

Good luck!  Maybe you can find a co-op that's more for fun and enrichment and less formal academics.  We belong to one like that.  It is laid back and only meets twice a month.  Much more doable for US than other co-ops.  

Thanks Crystal, right now I don't think a coop is the right thing for us at all. They can be awesome and definitely have their place but with the dynamics I have going I think shorter and/or more occasional playdates are the way to go. I actually have plans to get together with another friend on a semi-regular basis (maybe every other week) to practice the things all of our kids are doing, give them an opportunity to share what they are working on with each other and do some science together. 

This has spurred me to evaluate other activities we are doing and really choose things that are good for all of us and eliminate those that are. It is still hard but I think right now with little kids being home more will be a good thing. 

Sabrina, I am sure that was a tough decision, but glad that you were willing to give up something good to get something better for your family. We have a lot of homeschooling friends - a lot - and many (more than half) belong to one or more co-ops, but they are not for everyone, and not for every year. Whenever someone ask me why we have never been a part of a co-op, I reply honestly: we have never felt God calling us to join one.

Some years it was time, others it was money, but every year we thought about joining a co-op, God had other plans. That is a joy I always focus on with home education - mine does not need to look like yours, and vice versa. Take you time finding your new normal. 

Hugs!

2 people like this

I'm sure it was tough, but good job doing the best thing for your family even though it was hard!

We don't participate in a coop because of the time commitment. We did for one semester when my youngest was in grade 2. We only wanted to take one class they were offering, but but we had to participate in the entire day of activities and wade through assignments that had no real value to our homeschool. After that first semester, I realized that it just wasn't a good fit for us and actually a waste of time.

Instead of a coop, we like to take individual classes that may be offered locally. And I make sure my kids have plenty of opportunities to be with their friends. We also participate in several community things so we stay connected.

2 people like this

Thanks everyone! The news was taken very well by the leaders so that was a relief. They were all very supportive and encouraging about me making a decision that was right for my family even though they were disappointed we wouldn't be there. That has helped a lot! I am looking forward to a little more flexibility moving forward. This particular program has been a huge blessing for my family in the past and I'm thankful it was there when I was just starting out homeschooling, it gave me direction and focus and equipped me as a parent to have the knowledge and confidence that I CAN do this! So I do not regret anything. But as some of you pointed out it just isn't the right thing NOW for my family for a variety of reasons. Now....I just need to go figure out what we WILL be doing!!! LOL

Good for you!   I'm looking to do the same, and we've only been in our co-op 2 years.   For us, I find that it costs us more in time and learning than it benefits us.

1 person likes this

Good for you. Sometimes you need to just step back and focus on whats best for your family.

I'm not in a co-op as it feels like another busy thing to add to our schedule. The majority of our friends are part of one and have tried to talk me into being part of the co-op. I'm glad I've never done it. We have several co-ops in our area and surprisingly they are all so different.

1 person likes this

Sometimes it's hard to step back, but if it's for the best, it will all work out.  

We currently belong to a co-op, but it's more relaxed and for enrichment, rather than academically focused.  I imagine we'll reassess our priorities as my kids get older, but for now, they all love it.  We'll, it took several weeks in and bumping the 2 year old up to the 3 yr class...but after that, it was a more pleasant experience for everyone!  

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone! It was definitely a relief not to scramble to get ready this week and have to get everyone out early. We are working on establishing new school routines but getting something off my plate definitely helps!!