Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roseacademyacademics

Favorite back to (home) school tips and ideas

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking for something fresh and new to do this year for my kids--3 high schoolers and 1 junior high. I'm thinking we are beyond the pictures with a sign saying their grade level. 

Any suggestions? 

I stopped the sign and picture a year ago. It just didn't fly with my kids. I thought of making a special breakfast and lunch this year. I'm open to suggestions. I'm curious to see what others do.

5 hours ago, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

I stopped the sign and picture a year ago. It just didn't fly with my kids. I thought of making a special breakfast and lunch this year. I'm open to suggestions. I'm curious to see what others do.

I'm curious too. I need some ideas. 

I think I'm doing the sign this year lol. I've never done it. We usually do "first day of CC" pics. I have a friend who has taken her kids' "first day" pics around the same tree every year and she can see at a glance how much they have grown. I love the idea but we have always moved so much but I think I'm going to try to start!

Since my son is now 16, I thought I'd teach him to make Stromboli, which is one of his favorites, for lunch on the 1st day of school. It gets more difficult as they get older!

Mine are still elementary.  We started back today.  I made Star Wars pancakes, took pictures, and I did a First Day of... questionnaire.  I also showed them the new schedule and talked to them about some of the things we're going to put in place the year, and I tried to show some excitement for some of these new things.  Nothing special, but I've never really done anything special for the First/Last day.  

The only real thing I've ever done is either go out for lunch, or have afternoon tea with cookies.   I don't think I've ever done the photos....sigh.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:12 PM, momsheartblog@gmail.com said:

Mine are still elementary.  We started back today.  I made Star Wars pancakes, took pictures, and I did a First Day of... questionnaire.  I also showed them the new schedule and talked to them about some of the things we're going to put in place the year, and I tried to show some excitement for some of these new things.  Nothing special, but I've never really done anything special for the First/Last day.  

That sounds like fun!

We've never done anything for pictures either. Sometimes I'll run out and get donuts or we have pancakes. We aren't very exciting around here. 

Not quite sure if any of this would fly with older kids, but these are our "first day of school" traditions. I was going to start a new thread asking about back to school traditions, but figured this would fit well in your thread, I think

The children get a new outfit (which sadly might not happen this year thanks to finances)

Like other special days (like Christmas, Resurrection Sunday, their birthday) I get a picture of them at the top of the stair before they come downstairs. 

Daddy takes them out to breakfast while I get the school room organized and decorated (banner and balloons mostly).

We have a homeschool elf who hides their supplies. So, I have to hide all the things that would go in their pencil boxes and I also write little riddles to help them find their supplies. 

When they get home I have them line up outside like they are lining up to go to school and of course, I take a picture. 

Then they play for a bit, we fill in a "About Me" paper, maybe have a light school day. 

1 person likes this

We usually take a first day of homeschool co-op photo because we ever really start/stop our year.  They wear their new shirts from great products that I buy during the $5.99 sale.  Because I'm cheap.  LOL