Amanda H

Struggling Reader

4 posts in this topic

I am at a loss. I love letting my kids learn at their own pace. My son taught himself how to read at 7, but by 6 he had the basics down. Now my 6 year old daughter is struggling with reading, bad. She loves Reading Eggs, breezes through the lessons, but draws a blank when she has to do a test at the end and she can't seem to read simple words to me or her dad. I am worried because her dad had issues with reading growing up ( his mom didn't pay attention and he struggled through school). Am I just over-reacting being she is only my second that I have "taught" to read, or is there a program out there that would be easy and slow paced with lots of repetition for her? We have used Jolly Phonics (she didn't like it), and the McGruffy Primer from Easy Peasy along with Reading Eggs.

1 person likes this

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't panic yet.  She's only 6.  For now, I would just keep casually working on it, maybe trying different "angles" (methods). No pressure...You don't want her to feel frustrated or like she can't get it.  Read a lot TO her.  Sometimes the "light" just switches on suddenly.

1 person likes this

I totally agree with Jan, above. There's plenty of time for her to learn, and maybe trying different approaches will spark something with her. :) You've got this, Mama! Don't panic!

Some kids cannot blend the sounds not heir own until they are 8 or 9. Learning to read varies widely - so take a step back and let off the pressure (on her and yourself.) The thing that will get her to work harder and "get it will be: a- time and b- a reason to want to learn. 

Our younger daughter was not a proficient reader until she was 10. Her older sister could (and would) read to her, so she did not see the need to work so hard to learn herself. She could read some, but even that came much later than her sister(about age 8). What spurred her on was wanting to read Garfield comics. Eventually Emily would get tired of reading to her, and Arlene wanted to be able to read the punch line in the last frame of the comic - incentive!

1 person likes this