Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carolemmert14@gmail.com

Are you changing anything in the new year?

14 posts in this topic

With the new year first approaching, are you planning on making any changes to your routines?

I'm asking because in the past it always seemed like a good time to reevaluate whether our chores, outside commitments, and family activities were working well or needed adjusted. I have also used the new year as a break to try something new in our homeschooling.

I'd like to start a new literature course with my high schoolers.

We aren't planning on a busy new year though, so other than that, probably not changing things up too much. We would like to get back into our local theatre come February.

I always start planning mentally for next years curriculum. One think I need to adjust is math and science for my son. I think I need to shelf our current spelling curriculum as it's not working well with my son. I thought I'd try a different approach to my sons spelling curriculum this last year. I think it's time to go back to our previous spelling plans.

Well we are drastically changing up how we do school! And I'm not even completely sure what that will look like yet (I posted about it on another thread here). I am also changing my personal mindset and habits to hopefully create a better atmosphere at home. I am going to be more disciplined about when computer time happens and for how long and focus more on my family and home. I am working on my attitude toward homemaking and being content. I will be coming up with some new system of chores and getting my kids in a routine. At least those are my goals!

YES!  Starting with a Crew break.  :( 

I have some health issues to deal with, some kid issues to deal with, a spelling issue, a math issue.  We don't have issues, we have a subscription.  O.o  I'm hoping my husband will be taking some vacation between Christmas and New Year and I can take a breather and finish all my planning and get started.  I need to get more freezer meals put up, healthier eating, better attitudes, some sewing done, and a LOT of planning and evaluating.

I want to tweak our daily schedule to flow a little smoother, but no major changes to our homeschool.  I also need to be more diligent and consistent with homemaking.

1 person likes this

Just before the new year we implemented a new schedule/routine.  It's made life so much easier.  Stuff is getting done and we have more time to play.  It is going very well. 

1 person likes this

This frigid weather (over a week below zero F) is leaving me lethargic, tired, and a bit depressed.  I got nothing important accomplished.  We barely got math, LA, reading done today.  I'm so disappointed with myself.  I'd really appreciate prayer.  :x

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Zekesmom10 said:

This frigid weather (over a week below zero F) is leaving me lethargic, tired, and a bit depressed.  I got nothing important accomplished.  We barely got math, LA, reading done today.  I'm so disappointed with myself.  I'd really appreciate prayer.  :x

I know how you feel!    I always tell myself.....just get through January and  February is a short month.  After that I know temps should start to inprove and I begin to plan my gardens and flower beds and look forward to being outdoors more....and without so many layers.    With that said, we all experience days (sometimes several!) where we don't feel like we accomplish what we should have.  Don't be to hard on yourself.  I am sure other times you make up for those slower days.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....Happy 2018!  

I've basically chucked "school" for this month except maybe a little math. We need to get routines and behavior under control before we can even try to get back to school work!

Here's something funny my home is changing: We're leaving up the Christmas tree at least until Feb. 1. I just need the pretty light for my spirit! Although my wife is making me take down the ornaments. I might get my 6-year-old daughter to make Valentine Day's ornaments. :-)

1 person likes this

On 1/5/2018 at 4:51 PM, mfoust said:

Here's something funny my home is changing: We're leaving up the Christmas tree at least until Feb. 1. I just need the pretty light for my spirit! Although my wife is making me take down the ornaments. I might get my 6-year-old daughter to make Valentine Day's ornaments. :-)

We have an artificial tree.  When we use that, we have a tree until mid-January, at least.  A real tree (which we've been getting with the boys the last couple years) barely makes it to epiphany.  My husband and I agree, the people who take down their trees early, tend to be the same ones who complain about the dreary winter, which granted is looooong in Vermont.  We love the bright lights, candles, and decorations.  Our problem is that our home is small *and* has an open floor plan which means fewer walls for shelves and furniture, so it just seems crowded with more than a tree, the village, and the nativity out for very long.  I don't like to put it away, but I like to have the floor space back.

I'm a little late to this party, but yes, we are making some changes in 2018. So far, so good. Our routine is slightly changing in our homeschool and I'm getting back to me.... doing more *from scratch* cooking and so on. My phrase for the year is *comfortable & consistent*. Let's home we get comfy and stay on track!

I'm still trying to figure things out. We were awesome from Preschool to 2nd grade for my oldest. Third grade was a nightmare as I tried something I shouldn't have. Now, I feel like we'll never get back on track. But then, with homeschool, what really is on track anyway?