roseacademyacademics

Christmas traditions

6 posts in this topic

What traditions does your family have?

We always go to the big children's museum in Indianapolis every Christmas eve and have for YEARS. I thought the kids would eventually outgrow it, but they are adamant about going this year at the ages of 12, 14, 16, and 18. My oldest even requested the day off work so she could be sure to go. It's one tradition that I'm glad they aren't ready to let go of just yet.

1 person likes this

We have a tradition we've enjoyed, for the last nine years, in a neighboring county where we go to see a two mile light show, called "Lights on the Lake". It sits along a small lake and new lights are added every year by different businesses, there are different themes, The Victorian Village (like out of a Christmas Carol story) , The Fantasy Forest (all types of forest creatures in this part), Wide World of Sports (using snowmen, elves, bears and santa), and a couple others, that right now, all of us are having a hard time remembering their names! LOL! But the best part is when it snows while we drive through the park, watching the old and new lights! We still have to go this year, but we hope it snows!! ?

We go to at least 1 live nativity each year.  We pick up milk shakes at McDonald's and drive around and look at Christmas lights one night.  We always sign up as a family to ring the bell for the Salvation Army and the girls and I make cookies/candies and then "elf" random people, family, friends etc.   We make a birthday cake for Jesus as dessert on Christmas day and breakfast on Christmas morning is always eggnog french toast, topped with warm cherry pie filling and bacon on the side.

1 person likes this

We like to drive to one of the large parks that does "Winter Wonderland" Christmas lights and walk around.  One Saturday is baking cookies, and we always make Chex Mix.  There are of course, many annual activities with the church, as well as activities with the co-op.  On Christmas Eve we have a huge gathering with my husband's side of the family.  Christmas morning is whatever goodies are in their stockings, then we go to my sister-in-law's house for breakfast, then a late lunch at my mother-in-law's house.  

1 person likes this

Stockings are St Nicholas Day.  It took until last year, when our youngest was four that the kids began to piece together that if St Nick and Santa are the same, why does he come to some houses twice?  9_9  In fact, he was the only one who would talk to Santa at the mall and he thanked him for his stocking gifts and told him happy birthday.  The Santa was fantastic about it.  LOL

Christmas Eve is a candlelight service.

I usually make a sweet roll for breakfast and we have gifts at home that all the grands ship to us.  Dinner usually is ham.  My oldest and his fiance are usually working, so it's just the 5 of us.

1 person likes this

My family always gathers round the piano on Christmas Eve and us boys play Christmas songs. We watch P.S. Murry Christmas, a Gunsmoke show featuring Jack Elam. It's a spin off of a scrooge like tale, where Jack Elam's character steals 7 orphans away from their headmistress to give them a christmas, it's a hilarious an heartwarming story. Then on Christmas morning, the scedule is always the same, presents, breakfast( coffee cake, serbian egg dish, and egg nog) And take a picture of the family wearing or holding their presents for Grandma.