reneeknob@gmail.com

When do you start back in your official school year?

20 posts in this topic

When do you start back in your official school year? We always do 3 days in the summer. No more than an hour or less. That way we don't go into the school year and have to spend time reviewing.

I sometimes start when the local school starts which would be August 17th here. Other times I start the day after Labor Day. This year I'm dragging my feet for some reason and need to finish up scheduling. Usually I have that done before we go into August!

I'm still deciding on when to start this year...I feel like we need some structure in our days, but at the same time, I want to enjoy the nice days!

Since we are in the midst of a move, I am trying to do a light load for the next few months and then get down to 'business' when we are settled. Last time we moved my boys were elementary and younger. This time I have 2 in high school! So, their 'light load' is really going to be intense work on a few subjects over 6 to 8 weeks. That way I don't need all the books at the ready.

We will be starting back August 28.   I had planned to start on the 21st, but the girls were asked to provide child care all that week (and get paid) so I bumped it out a week.

This is the only year so far that my kids aren't ready to start back to school. We've been so busy that it feels like we haven't had a summer break.

I thought I answered this....hmm. Well we don't completely stop but we are easing back into our "school year schedule" this month. I've learned to take it slow and not try to just jump back into a full schedule so over the next couple of weeks we will work back into it. 

In Pennsylvania, school can officially start on July 1st. This year, my son (age 16) begged me to give him a summer break. Therefore, we went light on work: mainly focusing on Field Trips and reviews of info he learned last year to prevent summer slide. We will start easing back into a full schedule sometime toward the end of August.

We did some light work over the summer, but we officially started our new "grades" today.  I wouldn't normally start on a Tuesday, but we had to pick up eyeglasses yesterday, and he really needed the new prescription, so we waited a day.  My plan for August is to stay consistent and work up almost to a full schedule.  We have a trip over Labor Day, then we'll dive in with our full schedule afterwards.  

We won't officially start back up until after Labor Day. This will be the latest we have ever started. We have family coming into town towards the end of the month and we will be spending our days on the boat, snorkeling, and scalloping so no one will feel like starting school at that time. We generally school year round, but due to some life curve balls this year we have taken the summer off. We normally start in July. 

We are working on a summer schedule. Our new school year started August 1st. September 5th we will be back to our full time schedule. 

August 14th. Always the Monday after the last kiddo birthday. (They were all July and August, but now the latest surprised us by being five weeks early and in May!!) We summer during birthday season, but all summer really means is less requirement. But if you aren't finished in a book, you still work. :)

We never stop, but with our paperwork complete and summer coming to an end (I hate saying that), it's about time to make things official.  Trouble is, I haven't planned a single thing out for when we finish up what we're doing.  Though some of it won't be finished until the end of this year and some should take us through next spring.  I'm feeling kind of wishywashy about some of our classes.  :D

We usually wait until after labor day, but this year we are planning on starting a little earlier. My 24-year-old daughter is coming for a visit in September so we will be taking a week off then and it'll be easier to make it up now rather than later. Plus my 16-year-old is taking a couple of college classes online, so I figure we will just start when she does. 

We actually just finished our summer session. This week is VBS and then I have 2 planning/organizing weeks to get ready to start back up the first week of September. I have to find out when the first day of school is locally, because I want to make sure we do something ultra fun that day. 

Last year I decided we were going to have this schedule:
2 weeks before school is a fun, go to bed late, sleep late, watch movies, etc week.

1 week before school is a get back on schedule, get to bed on time, practice getting up on time, make sure we follow our routine week.

Then we start our first day of school with all our traditions and a easy school day.

We are not officially starting until Sept 18th, due to back to back vacations at the end of August/September......this is what makes homeschooling manageable it may be tweaked for life to happen!!!

We homeschool year-round, so I never really know what to say about official start days. I use a regular calendar to mark our days and document what we do, so I guess I could say my boys will change grades at the beginning of next year. It's easier for my brain to do it that way. O.o

We did more this summer than normal (but still not tons). As a public school graduate, I struggle to start before the day after Labor Day because this is when the public schools start in my neck of the woods. 

Well, I just read my reply from last year and realized I'm doing things slightly different this year. We finished up our summer session a couple of weeks ago, but I was still counting last week as school because we were doing review products and VBS. So this week is a fun week, with today being really fun with no review products at all because we started a new tradition. It was the first day for our local school district, so we had a "Happy NOT First Day of School" day. Special breakfast, video games, board games, all kids got to pick a show instead of one, then movie night with popcorn. I'm also working on my schedule and organizing this week and next week. Then we will start on Labor Day, with our fun first day of school traditions.

1 person likes this