Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

snow day again?

13 posts in this topic

we are 5 days into snow days for a 6-11inch snowfall that happed last week......shhh don't tell my kids as we never have a snow day! :) 

Our schools (and every school district around us) were closed Monday for a predicted storm that didn't happen.   It didn't even dawn on me to check (my daughter plays basketball for a private high school) since the temperatures were finally above freezing and the sun was shining, until I saw someone on Facebook complaining about their kids missing so much school for no-show storms.

1 person likes this

We had -31* last week one morning.  They just delayed school 2 hours.

Another day, there was a crazy snow storm with whiteout wind.  Did they send kids home early or cancel after school programs?  No!  I did not want to take the kids to TKD!

1 person likes this

I haven't been paying close attention to the school calendar, so I am not aware if they have had any "snow" days yet this year. I'm not thinking there was bad enough snow to warrant it as our district usually stays open if at all possible (at least they used to when my older kids went to public school, now I'm not so sure as there is a new superintendent). Anyhow, they did have one day closed due to the freezing cold temperatures. I only know that because I friend posted it on Facebook. 

As for us, we don't take snow days. If there is nice snow with decent temps the children can go out to play after lunch for a while or after work is done. In fact, they got to make a snow person earlier this week. Sadly she is no more

DSCN8676.JPG

Edited by waidekaren@gmail.com
Ooops, forgot to add something
2 people like this

We had snow last week, then it got down to -16, then it got to 53 on Wednesday and Thursday and it all melted. Friday morning we woke up to ice, then an inch of snow in the afternoon. It has been a weird weather pattern, but that is not unusual for Indiana. We get a lot of variation in the winter.

1 person likes this

Normally I consider days with super cold temps to be ideal school days.....but this week we have had a couple and my motivation has gone out the window. We did a bit but not much, the cold has me moving slow!!

1 person likes this

Looking like snow is in the forecast again for wednesday, snow here we come............well only if your not homeschooled :)

1 person likes this

Last week a neighborhood friend came over during the day because he didn't have school because of the severe temp. and icy roads. I had to send him home because we were in the middle of our school day. Now my son wishes we could have snow days. I told him," we have nice weather days when we get to play outside or go somewhere fun." I think he thought that it was better than a snow day. Neither of my kids are fond of the cold.

Today we are having a quick moving storm in the Midwest with cold temperatures and a trace amount of know. More ice than anything.

1 person likes this

Yes, they will definately call it tomorrow!  we will have to see about thursday but this week could be a wash too.....poor public schoolers they are never getting out for summer break

Our public schools are out again as it in the single digits. I don't blame them its too cold to wait for the bus or even walk to school. We just have sheets of ice everywhere and a tad of snow  just barely covering the ground.

I think they had most of the week off here, but a two hour delay today, based on Facebook posts and when my nephew left this morning.  I only pay attention to school cancellations on days we have extracurriculars, since most cancel when the schools close for weather.  We don't do "snow days" here either, because we can do all of our school, tidy the house and still play outside.  We typically only do 4-day weeks anyway, so it's not like we have an overloaded schedule.  

They don't seem to call snowdays here in Wisconsin. My kids were sad that our homeschool coop was cancelled last Monday, because of snow.