tjohuffman@verizon.net

High School Math Suggestions

3 posts in this topic

We used Horizons math through  Algebra 1 with my oldest, and loved it until we hit Algebra 1.   There just wasn't enough information given to explain the concepts, and then we found so many errors in the teachers answer key it turned into a nightmare. We had to flip/flop around to try to find a good fit after that and I really don't think that child ever got to where she could have been mathematically had Algebra 1 not been such an issue.

Child #2 is in pre-algebra and doing great, but I'm looking to next years planning, and looking for suggestions for a curriculum that is easy to understand from the students standpoint, but covers all the necessary skills, and is budget friendly, and continues on past Algebra 1.  And....go!

We loved Video Text Interactive for algebra I and II.  I kept telling my girls that this is the way algebra should be taught.  (Not the way I learned it in a public school classroom.)

We started VTI for geography and quickly became very frustrated.  I asked around for suggestions and ended up switching to Teaching Textbooks for geography, and this is going very well.

1 person likes this

On 1/12/2018 at 11:21 PM, janmallo@frontier.com said:

We loved Video Text Interactive for algebra I and II.  I kept telling my girls that this is the way algebra should be taught.  (Not the way I learned it in a public school classroom.)

We started VTI for geography and quickly became very frustrated.  I asked around for suggestions and ended up switching to Teaching Textbooks for geography, and this is going very well.

Thanks!   I'll look into that, I'd never heard of it before.