Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjohuffman@verizon.net

Rainy Day Ideas

14 posts in this topic

It's absolutely pouring rain here today, and it's supposed to last through tomorrow.    A perfect time for some board games, reading on the sofa and baking.

What are go to rainy day activities for tweens/teens in your house?

Rainy days are often our "catch up" days since we like to spend nice days outside as much as possible! 

We've had a lot of rain here also. If it's during the school year we play catch up. We play board games. Sometimes like yesterday we snuggled on the couch and watched a family movie together,

My 12 year-old daughter and I love to knit and listen to audio books. My 16 year-old daughter will just read all day without coming up for air! My boys (12 and 14) play in their room together. Most of the time I have no idea what they're doing, and that's usually best! 

Because we don't get a lot of rain, we use these days as outdoor fun. We put on rain boots and stop around in puddles until we're soaking wet and ready to call it a day. Then, we clean up, grab a snack, and do a lot of reading in front of the fireplace.

21 hours ago, Cristina@ahomeschoolmom.com said:

Because we don't get a lot of rain, we use these days as outdoor fun. We put on rain boots and stop around in puddles until we're soaking wet and ready to call it a day. Then, we clean up, grab a snack, and do a lot of reading in front of the fireplace.

Where do you live that you don't get a lot of rain? I *love* rainy days!

3 minutes ago, laura.delgado.phd@gmail.com said:

Where do you live that you don't get a lot of rain? I *love* rainy days!

We live in SoCal. It rains about five days of the year. Ha, ha. 

It only rains here during Nov- March we tend to do Holiday related crafts, scrapbooking, summer trip planning and gift making for birthdays and Christmas.

We get a lot of rain (PNW here), but haven't in a while. The summers can be quite warm, and it's been even hotter than normal this year. Because it's been so hot, we are treating the 105+ days like rainy days and making the kids stay inside. They play board games, listen to audiobooks/audio dramas, and build legos mostly. Yesterday and today, my 5 yo dictated a story to me. I'm going to type it up and print it out today so he can illustrate it :)

Three of my older girls (18, 16, 14) have taken up swing dancing. They look up lessons on YouTube and learn a new step and practice like crazy. With eight kids in the house, they can usually find a partner. If they can't, they swing dance while playing the ukulele. Perfect for rainy days!

They're also learning violin, but since that isn't a pretty sound at first, I think that's more of a sunny day activity so musician Daddy can escape outside. Ha ha!

18 hours ago, wmr1601@icloud.com said:

Yesterday and today, my 5 yo dictated a story to me. I'm going to type it up and print it out today so he can illustrate it :)

That's a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing that! I'm going to do that with my five-year-old.

My grandmother used to teach fourth grade, and every year she had each student write a fiction story book and illustrate it. Then she had them all copied and bound--one copy for her, one copy for the child. For some, writing was torture, but since they could choose the topic, it was more fun for them. Plus we grandkids loved lying in front of Grandma's fire and reading those books.