Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ourthriftyhome03@gmail.com

What were your favorite books from 2017?

12 posts in this topic

I didn't read as much as I'd like but one that stands out is a new one called Lies Moms Believe by Rebekah Hargraves (it is only in digital version now but will be out in physical version March 30)-shameless plug: I'm running an online book club on it on Facebook :). 

Another one I love but read the year before is The Awakening of Miss Prim...very excellent book!! 

Oh I also read The Giver Quartet because my daughter was reading them-I had no idea there were three other books!!! I still think The Giver is the best of them but the others are definitely worth the read.

1 person likes this

Oooo... way too many to count as we do a great deal of reading. Do you mean books I read or books we read for learning? 

For learning, I would have to say The Wild Robot - so excited about the sequel - Armstrong, See America, Pax, The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts, The Book of Bees, The Atlas of... (Series), The Fallacy Detective, and the Thinking to Toolbox. To name a few, and not including the kids' favorite reads. 

For me another long list. Present Over Perfect, The Boy at the Top of the Mountain, Thank You for Being Late, People of the Book, Man's Search for Meaning, and None Like Him are the ones I can come up with on the cuff. But there were many more we enjoyed as well.

What about yourself?

1 person likes this

Books I read myself:

Terri Blackstock's If I Run series (first two books)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. My daughter also read this series and loved it. I plan to read it as a read aloud when we start learning about Ancient Greece later in the year. 

Those are the ones that pop into my head right now. 

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

Terri Blackstock's If I Run series (first two books)

I loved this one also. I can't wait for the 3rd book in the series if it's not already out. Way to many books this year that I enjoyed.

1 person likes this

On 1/31/2018 at 7:47 AM, Crystal Starr said:

I reread Teaching from Rest.  It really is a great book!

Oh yes! Very good, probably time I re-read that one!

2 people like this

Definitely not The Ship of Nails by Rick Riordan. The main character(male) falls in love with a transgender character, and they kiss as both a girl and a guy.

1 person likes this

I liked the Veronica Roth Red Queen Series, and also Life After E.L.E. Though I wish a 2nd book for that would come out soon. 

1 person likes this

Have you seen the movie Risen?  The book is very good and has a completely extra sub-plot that is not in the movie.  The Centurian and a Jewish widow have a forbidden relationship. 

I'm rereading Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character in You and your Kids and actually implementing what I'm reading this time.  I think if I stick through it, it will really make a difference for us.

I second The Wild Robot.  My 12 year old gets it often from the library.  I pre-ordered the sequel which will be out just before his birthday.