Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waidekaren@gmail.com

Birthday Traditions

4 posts in this topic

So, today is my daughter's birthday and I was wondering something. With 4 children we have specific traditions for each birthday. This started when my oldest turned 5 and we wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese. We knew we had to limit how often we went, so we said it would be the 5th birthday tradition. Each year since then I have come up with a new tradition for each age. They are

5 years old: Go to Chuck E. Cheese (not a birthday party, just going with immediate family, sometimes grandparents)

6 years old: Store bought/decorated cake

7 years old: Out to eat with the immediate family at Ponderosa (steak house, we do the all you can eat buffet)

8 years old: Grandparents come over (it was supposed to be friends, but they backed out on us, and I never told the children)

9 years old: Out to eat with only mommy and daddy at a fancy restaurant

10 years old: Mommy/child date to Burger King and then to the store to spend birthday money.

11 years old: This is the first year for 11 years old. I was actually was going to stop at 10, because I couldn't think of anything else. Then yesterday I thought it would be fun to have the birthday girl help mommy make the birthday cake. She agreed. So, it became the 11 year old tradition. 

So, what about you. Do you have any fun birthday traditions? 

1 person likes this

Daddy takes the day off from work and birthday child gets to choose a day trip destination and make all of the decisions all day.  

1 person likes this

That's a cute idea. Right now we do some sort of special activity (maybe a zoo in a nearby town, or museum, or trip to the lego store etc) and dinner out-their choice where on a weekend near their bday so Dad and/or grandparents can participate. ON the actual bday they pick all meals and we do cake and presents but I'd love to incorporate some new traditions. One challenge is Dad can't take off work for their bdays and he leaves super early and gets home around 6 so it limits time we can all celebrate together (and that is when he isn't deployed). 

Our girls' birthdays are only 4 days apart, so they've mostly shared a birthday party on years when we had them. Until the oldest turned 18 and wanted to have her own party, which her younger sister made the cakes for. 

Usually it is pick your favorite food for dinner. Often we do something special the weekend before or the weekend after their birthdays.