Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ourthriftyhome03@gmail.com

Year-Round Homeschool

9 posts in this topic

Do you prefer to school year round or take a significant break off in the summer? 

We've done both. I prefer to school year-round with many breaks in between. We live in Florida and tend to stay inside a lot during the summer unless we go swimming, etc. So we do a big chunk of school during the summer months. We take a bit of time off (although we still consider it school) during the end of August and into September to go scalloping in the Gulf. 

When we have taken a long summer break it seems harder for us to get back *into the swing* of things and slight amnesia sets in as they seem to have forgotten what they learned the year before... hahaha!

We school year-round with a longer break at Christmas and summer, and a week's break every six weeks. This makes the year more enjoyable, but keeps us learning continually. 

Scalloping sounds fun!

1 person likes this

We do more of a year round approach with intermittent breaks frequently. That said how our homeschool looks and what we are studying does tend to change with the seasons. 

1 person likes this

I am a work-outside-the-home Mom, so we take a long summer break - because I need it!

I also like having the summer set aside for the girls to volunteer, work on 4-H, or for us just to be outside a lot. It does sometimes make it hard to get going again in September, but for us, taking the summers off is a must. 

I will insert this thought - if we lived somewhere really hot - we would dos schoolwork in the summer and take either Spring or Fall off instead. I can totally understand why you do school in the summer in Florida or Arizona!

1 person likes this

I use to do year around. I take a summer break as my kids request it now that they are older. Granted I do 3 days a week for an hour in the summer.

1 person likes this

We school year round. But have slags and gaps with babies, surgeries, illness and the like. I'm trying to be pretty devoted to a "free weekend" system this year, but I still capture them doing something "educational". ?

1 person likes this

We take the summer off from regular lessons, but we typically have a few enrichment classes at the local community college going on throughout the summer.

1 person likes this

Formally, we follow a traditional school calendar, but we don't stop for summer either.  We start our "new year" around the same time as public schools, but we're way more flexible with our schedule.  Usually by summer we slow things down and it is pretty light and casual.  We can't take off completely though, or it's too hard to get back into a routine.

1 person likes this