21 posts in this topic

What are some of your favorite field trips? As the new school year starts, I'm always open to new experiences. We try to take in some sporting events, museums, National Parks, performing arts, the symphony, cultural festivals, and other events each year as well as attend field trips sponsored by our local Co-op and Homeschool Associations. Currently, I'm planning a trip to Philadelphia to visit family. We will be there during the Smithsonian Free Museum Day. Therefore, we'll use that to our advantage as well. Educational fun doesn't have to cost to be effective. I'm looking forward to hearing what your family's enjoy doing!

1 person likes this

I don't know that I have had a favorite per say. I have enjoyed everything we have done. I am looking forward to this weekend. Saturday we are going to PineCrest Historical Society for Wild Bill Days. They are having some reenactments.  Sunday we are going to Heritage Hill for Laura Ingall Wilder Days. We have an upcoming field trip planned at the EAA Museum. 

We haven't done any sporting events. But we do enjoy the museums, parks, performing arts, and anything that will spark an interest. We have gone to the ZOO a lot this past year. We need to renew our membership. We are considering a membership to the EAA Museum as they have some fun things planned for the kids through out the year. We are going to see the Nutcracker in December. 

Your right it doesn't have to cost to be effective. We find both free and cost things to do. Just depends what is going on and where it is. 

Going on a cave tour was fun, we like animal conservation centers, and of course the boys love LEGOLAND.  Some of the local field trips I'd like to do this year are the art museum and the radio and technology museum.  I'm considering a membership to the museum about an hour away, for reciprocal benefits.  We're planning a trip to Atlanta soon to visit my family, and then we might travel with husband to Baltimore for work.  We always look for fun/educational things to do when traveling too.  

1 person likes this

We like historical field trips, and hands on activities.   We go on field trips with our local support group on occasion, but most of those are geared towards the younger kids and I have a 12 and 14 year old.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, tjohuffman@verizon.net said:

We like historical field trips, and hands on activities.   We go on field trips with our local support group on occasion, but most of those are geared towards the younger kids and I have a 12 and 14 year old.

Here's a field trip your olders would love-- https://mphavens214.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/jamestown-for-what-its-worth-and-all-we-learnedpart-1/

1 person likes this

This past weekend we went to one of the historical societies and the theme was Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show....that was amazing! The actors did a very good job and you learned a little about there history. I didn't know just how much Buffalo Bill AKA Cody really shaped the west until after the show. Annie Oakley was pretty awesome to learn about as well. They had a reenactment we got to watch. Just fantastic! 

22 hours ago, a49erfangirl@charter.net said:

This past weekend we went to one of the historical societies and the theme was Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show....that was amazing! The actors did a very good job and you learned a little about there history. I didn't know just how much Buffalo Bill AKA Cody really shaped the west until after the show. Annie Oakley was pretty awesome to learn about as well. They had a reenactment we got to watch. Just fantastic! 

We live in North Platte, NE home of Buffalo Bill & his Wild West Show. You could always take a field trip out here. 

Some of our favorite ones have been the weather station, the TV & radio station, and the newspaper office. 

1 person likes this

It's been a while since we've been on a "real" field trip. We found some really neat places here in the northern PA/western NY area a while ago. Did you know there is a Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Nothing like the one out west, but still, a lovely place. And up in NY there is Rock City Park which we really enjoyed and hope to go again. We also have a nearby state park where we went last year to learn about and tag monarch butterflies. They will be doing it again this year and we hope to go. They have different events throughout the year, unfortunately, none of them have been at a time when we could go. I guess the last field trip we went on would be the Erie Zoo several months ago. Or I guess we could count going to the Pocono Race Way. 

On 8/17/2017 at 6:08 AM, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

Did you know there is a Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.

I actually had no idea. What a neat thing to discover. So many places I want to go and see. We have watched them tag monarch butterflies. I am hoping to get to the butterfly gardens next week, if I can sneak it in. 

Georgia has a Little Grand Canyon too.  I remember going on a field trip as a kid.  We're going to visit my family GA in a few weeks, and the Little Grand Canyon is quite a drive from where we're staying, but I've been digging and have found several free things - a free science center, some nature preserves and wetland centers, as well as one city park that also has a historic village and a veteran's wall and military museum.  It's amazing the things you can find when you really dig beyond the "marketed" attractions and look for hidden gems.  

On 8/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

Did you know there is a Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Nothing like the one out west, but still, a lovely place.

I did!  I grew up in the Corning area.  It's beautiful, but more tree-y than rocky.  :)  And maybe a little smaller.  ;)

Most recently, we went to the Lamplighter Ministries book bindery.  That was so much fun and the people there were so nice.  And I may have purchased a few books...

Anytime we go someplace, we make it into a field trip! Haha!! A trip to the beach, we look at everything around us, the trees, birds, and animals. We take it in, when we take swim breaks, we write or draw what we have seen. But we also like to go to the local areas, Children's Museum, Science Museum, Aquarium, even my old work, the local Fur Post from the Northwest Territory Trading Posts. They have several events through the year and we love to go there and do something different each time!

1 person likes this

On 8/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, a49erfangirl@charter.net said:

I actually had no idea. What a neat thing to discover. So many places I want to go and see. We have watched them tag monarch butterflies. I am hoping to get to the butterfly gardens next week, if I can sneak it in. 

The sad thing is, I knew it was here for years, and it wasn't until a couple of years ago that we finally went. There is also a place called Animaland close to the PA Grand Canyon. We've been there several times. Just bypassed the Grand Canyon each time though.
I had never even heard of tagging monarchs until we went on that trip. That was really neat.

18 hours ago, Zekesmom10 said:

I did!  I grew up in the Corning area.  It's beautiful, but more tree-y than rocky.  :)  And maybe a little smaller.  ;)

That's so cool, that you grew up in the Corning area. I actually grew up in NYC, but when I was 19 I moved with my now-ex and infant son to the Watkins Glen area. But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that we made it to the Corning Museum of Glass. That was a really neat place. Guess I didn't mention that field trip. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:26 PM, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

That's so cool, that you grew up in the Corning area. I actually grew up in NYC, but when I was 19 I moved with my now-ex and infant son to the Watkins Glen area. But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that we made it to the Corning Museum of Glass. That was a really neat place. Guess I didn't mention that field trip. 

I worked at the Corning Museum of Glass at the time of the renovations.  I was amazed when they raised up the big disk.  It's always been one of my favorite places.  And I just took my family to the Watkins Glen gorge last summer.  None of them had been there before.  :)

1 hour ago, Zekesmom10 said:

I worked at the Corning Museum of Glass at the time of the renovations.  I was amazed when they raised up the big disk.  It's always been one of my favorite places.  And I just took my family to the Watkins Glen gorge last summer.  None of them had been there before.  :)

That is just too cool. I have to admit, I never actually went to the Watkins Glen gorge. I would love to go one of these days.

We live just outside of Indianapolis. There are several good museums around, many of them charge quite a bit in admission, so we are always on the lookout for community day discounts or free ticket giveaways! Some of our favorites are: Conner Prairie, the Eiteljorg Museum, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Motor Speedway museum, Indiana History Center, and several state parks. 

Our daughters have volunteered at Conner Prairie for years, and we have a membership, so we often take friends there on our membership and then they offer to take us to the Children's Museum or State Museum on their membership. It is so true that fun field trips do not have to be costly, you just have to do some investigative work first!

We're full-time RVers, so we probably have more opportunities than most. Our favorite "biggies" are the national parks, Boston's Trail of Patriots (I think that's the wrong name, but you can find the right name easily), visiting famous places from books or expressions (Grand Central Station, Make Way for Ducklings park, Little House homes, etc.) oddities like playing with the fawns on a deer farm and climbing the silos on a corn farm, and pretty much anything without a sign that says "Stay on trail."

Have fun in Philly! We enjoyed it there!