Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjohuffman@verizon.net

Extra Curricular Activities

10 posts in this topic

What extra curricular activities are your children involved in?
My oldest (14)  plays high school volleyball and basketball for a local private school, the younger one (12) has played rec league but will be moving to the private school for sports this coming year.   Both girls do archery in the spring..   The younger is in a sewing club through 4-H and she also just got accepted as a member of the John Lewis Society (she'll be a costumed interpreter at a local history museum).

In the past they've both done classical ballet (8 years), and piano.   They both still play piano, just no longer take lessons.

We do 4-H my daugther does entomology, photography, Food & Nutrition, and arts and crafts. She also does beekeeping outside of 4-H.

My son does Tae Kwon Do and 4-H Rocketry, photography, Food & Nutrition, and arts and crafts. He use to do Guitar but, we couldn't afford lessons anymore.

Right now, we only do co-op.  My boys (8 and 11) are going to have an instructional Basketball class before co-op starting in March.  In the past they have both done homeschool gymnastics, and my oldest has also done soccer, basketball, boys gymnastics and golf.  He likes to try things, but rarely wants to continue.  My younger son wants to learn piano, so I need to find an instructor for him.  My 5 year old daughter wants to take dance but we missed sign-ups this past fall, so she has to wait until later this year.  Now that she's 5 though, I might put her in the homeschool gymnastics class, and I think the Olympics have inspired ice skating, LOL!  

Right now we have two that are playing soccer and we are very active in our church and with church related activities. 

We sort of burned our selves out a few years ago with doing WAY TOO MUCH. Not being involved in a ton of activities is a good thing for us right now. {wink, wink}

My son does tae kwan do, both my daughters do baton twirling (which I teach so that is convenient) and three of my kids are in awana and 4H although we haven't done much with 4H other than attend meetings (I'm still not sure how/what to do!). We are pretty maxed out at this point. One daughter is probably going to play spring soccer and that is a stretch, she also does a program with the zoo in the summer but other activities are out at that time.

Co-op, Tae Kwon Do, swimming lessons, sporadically attend AWANA (I hate that we don't go more, but it's the night before co-op so we only attend when we don't have co-op the next day), various library events, one boy has a weekly appointment, one attends PS two mornings each week.  We might fit in some ski lessons this seasons, but that hasn't happened yet this year.

Archery started last week.    There are 11 kids in the Tuesday class and all but 1 of the11 are homeschooled, ranging from 8-17 years of age.   Fun times!

We go to the YMCA for exercise. My older girls (who are 10 and 11) go to a few classes with me, and we spend time on the treadmill and the elliptical. Once the school year starts up, our church has Venture Club for elementary age children once a week. Other than that, they haven't been involved in much. However, my older girls just started getting involved in Bible Quizzing. So, new adventure for us. Oh, and we do go to co-op, but that doesn't start til October, and goes through April. 

1 person likes this

We have decided that this year we will get more active and intentional about 4H so that will be our primary activity. We also do baton, tae kwan do, and AWANA so at this point I think that is enough :)

1 person likes this

We do weekly co-op PE, piano lessons (plus many performances at local university, Barnes and Noble, the local mall, etc), tackle football in the fall with a community team, drama at a charter school which was opened to homeschoolers.  Sometimes, I wish we didn't live in town so we could do 4H... but, then reality hits and I know we wouldn't do it after all. *sigh