Amanda H

Required for School or Just for Fun?

18 posts in this topic

How do you use your Heirloom Audio stories? Are they just for fun, like a movie during class? Or do you use them as something more since they are based off of books and have the study guide and quizzes available? How would you mark it if you used it for something more?

1 person likes this

I'm using them just for fun but happy with any history they expand upon! I will certainly at least point out anything that ties in with what we are learning in other areas.

1 person likes this

We use them just for fun, but their is always some question asked or my older ones do some research on something they want to learn more about - makes it perfect for self directed learning!

1 person likes this

We are not yet in full school mode because we are still in full summer mode. We are normally year round homeschoolers and would have started our new year already (back in July) but life was a little different this year so we just rolled with the punches, so to speak. :) This summer our kiddos have been listening to Beric the Briton, Cat of Bubastes, and In The Reign of Terror A LOT! They absolutely love popping these audio drama's in a listening while they are playing, etc. So, to answer the question, we have been listening to them more here lately for fun. After the school year starts we may use the study guides and dig more deeply into the "learning" aspect of it. 

1 person likes this

We use them both ways. If we are studying a particular area of history that is covered in one of the stories we listen to it. Other than that my kids are always bringing them in the car to listen to. We live out of town and the kids love listening to audio books.

2 people like this

I have just found out that a recommended book for my son's history this upcoming month is the Dragon and the Raven, only I am not going to make him read it, he gets to sit back and enjoy it!!

We use them for both. Of course, there is the enjoyment of just listening, but we get a good deal out of using discussion points along the way.

1 person likes this

The way I have set up our homeschool is we do a group time, usually in the mornings for about an hour. Devotional and a book I read aloud to them are always constant but we do other things, too like history, some science, music, art, etc... This is where the audios fit in. We listen to them together and go through the study guides. The rest of the time is for individual skills work like with math, reading, and writing.

1 person likes this

It's all history and we use the SGs.  We listen thru once, then use the SG.  We listen any time we're in the car for fun.  I have to mail a portfolio into the state OR pay a teacher to look over a much more detailed portfolio and have her write a letter to the state.   I count any activities as school so, for instance, when we learned about King Alfred, we made the Alfred cakes and drew and wrote about the Alfred Jewel.  (history) (math) (art) (LA)   The more subjects I can cover with one topic, the happier I am. 

1 person likes this

We mostly use them for fun history exposure.  We live rural and it's at least a half hour drive to most places, so these almost always go in the car with us.  I do go through the study guide so I'm prepared for vocabulary and other discussion topics, and pull out ideas to work in organically.  We've had some interesting discussions!  My kids are all elementary though, and we are relaxed Charlotte Mason homeschoolers, so this works well for us.  I put it on the social studies book list for portfolio review.  If my kids were older, I would have them work through the study guide more methodically, and count it towards history and literature.  I would have *loved* these as a homeschooled high schooler! 

1 person likes this

We have to go out of state twice a month for doctor's visits. So we listen to them in the car on the drive there and back. 

1 person likes this

I am using the audio dramas as a break from our normal history class. I do use the study guides and the online questions as we use these. We sometimes go a little deeper to on what we learned and study it a little more. The kids really do enjoy the break and they really do enjoy listening to the cds. 

1 person likes this

Using just for fun really. I use the study guides to make sure they are listening, but not for much else right now. The children just enjoy listening to them. Now, when we listened to The Dragon and the Raven, we used that opportunity to have a bit of an extra lesson as we had recently learned about Vikings. Plus, with our core curriculum (My Father's World Creation to the Greeks) we will be learning about ancient Egypt this year. I already planned on listening to Cat of Bubastes, but was pleased to see that the book was in the Teacher Manual as a recommended book. We'll probably stick to the Heirloom Audio adventure, as we have way to many read alouds right now.

1 person likes this

We've done it both ways. We use it just for fun on our longer drives, and have even had to sit in the van and finish it! We drive a lot, since we're full-time RVers. 

We have also done it section by section according to the study guide.

I don't like to make everything that is educational a "sit-at-your-desk" kind of educational experience. I'd rather let it happen sometimes, you know what I mean?

1 person likes this

We use them mostly for fun - my kids listen during quiet time before bed and as they fall asleep. However, my 11yo recently chose the French Revolution for his history this semester, so I'm going to assign him In the Reign of Terror, including the study guide. He's a reader, not a listener, so this will have the double whammy of expanding his horizons. 

1 person likes this

We use them for both. First time through for history, later just for fun. Even though Arlene is older, she still looks over the study guides for recipes and other fun facts... those often lead her to go check out another book at the library to learn more.

I think planning these into our school routine is great, BUT sometimes kids especially homeschoolers need FUN curriculum, where nothing is required but pure enjoyment!

There doesn't seem to be a real line for us between the fun and the school. We generally listen together when a new one arrives (mostly in the car). It just gets added to our roundup of "stuff" we are doing, including pieces of the study guide.  After the first listen together the kids will use their CD players to listen again, and again, and again, and again....