Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

who's ready to be done?

15 posts in this topic

SO at this time each year I find it really hard to keep schooling.........the weather is starting to get nicer & mentally I am done, YET I have 3 more months to go.....I like to finish in May.

Anyone else feel this way?  Maybe its because I have elementary age & its intense because 2 out of 3 need me for reading the work........

I totally understand that!   We had unseasonally warm weather this week (80's in February???) and it gets me in the mood to be outside working in the gardens and forgetting about school work too.   We did wrap up a few subjects this week, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.   We try to be done by mid-late May as well, but there is a possibility that Algebra 2 will carry over into June some.

2 people like this

Our weather is terrible still so I'm not quite there yet but I will be soon!

1 person likes this

We finish in May as well, but as we school year-round things look a little different for us. As we get breaks every six weeks, it helps to not feel as though we're going for such extended periods of time. It works for us. 

Best wishes on finishing strong!

1 person likes this

We more or less school year round with various breaks but our "schooling" looks different depending on the season (lots of "home ec" "horticulture" and "ag" in the spring!!)

1 person likes this

After some much needed corrections & planning time I realized some of our books are coming to a close this week!!!!  There is light at the end of the tunnel......I have no idea how any teachers with 30 kids in a classroom has the grace to do this & THE CORRECTIONS! 

1 person likes this

This year we have been having a lot of sickness which is not common in our house. Getting a full week done of school seems so unrealistic anymore! I feel so scattered and behind that I want it to be done for the year.

We have had a lot of mixed weather and we haven't had a chance to enjoy when it is nice outside with everyone being sick.

We go year round and take "lazy days" whenever.  Frankly, there were too many lazy days in January.  Anyway, the kids are all over the place with grades and courses.  We might finish a spelling level in January, a math grade in May, and history in September.  We just start the next thing as soon as we finish.  They might get a week break in that subject while I look over the new material and do some planning for the next grade/level, but that's not more than a week.  We take three VBS weeks and a week or so of vacation in summer.  Sometimes I even take school with us to Grandma's because there is a LOT of downtime I'm not willing to let Grandpa's TV fill.  So, we get plenty of breaks, but we don't stop for the summer.  I'm coming out of that winter funk I had and we're getting lots more done.  I think everyone gets spring fever sometimes.

I am ready to be done, but Arlene needs to get some more serious work done on her math before we consider choosing an end date for the year. Since she will be graduating in November or December, it mostly depends on her getting enough down this Spring that she can finish in the fall. 

I always get in a lull in March, whether it is nice outside or not. Sometimes we take a couple days off just for a mental break.

1 person likes this

I did not know Arlene was a senior?  Wow....that was fast!  I am wanting to be done NOW, but it looks like our target date will be April for my 5th grader if he really gets it into gear & kindergartener & my 2nd grader will go through the summer, UGH elementary ages are so time-consuming & can be so tedious !!! I am hoping to see a difference with 6th grade next year with more independent work FINALLY....

I think today was worse, because it's supposed to be turning spring and we keep having these dreary cold snaps . . . bleh!

We switched to a new curriculum in October, so with regular Thanksgiving and Christmas break, we'll have to go about 6-8 weeks longer than I would normally go.  I think, however, we'll plan to keep pressing on, taking off for VBS.  We'll take a "light" summer, and just start back up a little later than usual so we still get a break.  

Edited by momsheartblog@gmail.com

On 3/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, mphavens214@att.net said:

I did not know Arlene was a senior?  Wow....that was fast! 

It was fast. Just a minute ago she was this little redhead toddler who never left my side until nap time each day. Sigh. Hug those babies while you still have them!

1 person likes this

On 3/25/2018 at 9:04 AM, mphavens214@att.net said:

Yes, but I actually like them a little older :)

It IS nice when someone else can make dinner :)

1 person likes this