Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabrina S

What pets or other animals do you have?

10 posts in this topic

I'm curious what animals people have? Both pets and/or farm animals. 

We have 2 dogs, 6 cats (barn cats), and 15 chickens (at the moment that number tends to fluctuate and we hope to get more in the next couple of weeks). Hubby is picking up a French Angora rabbit tomorrow and I have another coming at the beginning of april. We are also considering adding American Chinchilla rabbits. Oh and I'm getting bees in April...probably 2 hives (I'm ordering queens and the neighbor is splitting his hives for me). 

We would like to add other things eventually but I think the rabbits, chickens, and bees will max me out this year. 

I miss having giant puppies at my house.  For now, we have 3 indoor/outdoor cats and six chickens. 

I'm not sure what we're going to do about the cats.  Last fall, they were getting tons of ticks despite collars and another tick repellent treatment.  I don't need them bringing ticks in the house.  I was going to make tick bombs, but the permethrin is toxic to cats and the whole point of the tick bombs was to treat rodents carrying ticks and the whole point of the cats is to get rid of the mice and moles before they get in the house.  They will not like becoming full time house cats, I know that.

Ugh ticks are rough. We had them pretty bad here last year. My dogs didn't get any but we saw them all over. I don't really have any advice but hope you figure it out.

We just have one dog.  He's a beagle/blue tick hound mix.   He's getting a little age on him now, but he seems to be healthy and well.   He's great at cornering snakes in the yard and quite the hunter as well.

1 person likes this

We have 3 dogs and a cat.  Two small, indoor dogs.  The lab is mostly outdoor.  The cat is outdoors.  The boys have had hermit crabs and hamsters in the past, and now they want lizards and/or turtles.  My daughter wants a parrot.  o.O

We live adjacent to the family farm where my husband was raised.  His parents have 3 donkeys, half a dozen or so goats (I haven't counted lately but I know they sold some), 2 outdoor cats, 2 rabbits, 2 ducks and a lot of chickens.  They have a dog and bird inside.  The other field has a handful of cows, split between them and my brother-in-law.  My kids basically consider all those animals as their own.  Not sure what happened to his beehives, I never did ask.  My brother-in-law has a dog that never stays home and sits outside my house yapping all the time.  We don't claim him, LOL!

Edited by momsheartblog@gmail.com

Oh I'm sorry about your son's hamster :(. I actually had a bee hive last year but it died....:( trying again this spring. Was hoping to get two from the neighbor but he lost one so I might only be getting one. 

I can't imagine not having some sort of pet but I know some people just aren't into animals. :) We have added 5 rabbits total to our animals and we have a hive of bee. 

On 5/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, burkefamily@integrity.com said:

My family and I have never had a pet. Don't feel sorry for me.

We love our dog....but he'll be the last one for us.   It just ties us down, and the silly thing eats my flowers out of the garden.