Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabrina S

Gardening

17 posts in this topic

Do you garden? What do you grow?

We are starting to plan ours. We have some seeds we have saved and will probably start inside this weekend. I'm not sure what all we will grow, several veggies, melons, squash, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes.....We are looking into the whole potato barrel idea for growing those, we eat lots of red and sweet potatoes. We are going to move our raspberry bushes into more contained raised beds and probably get some blackberry bushes (I need to look into that). I would like to plant some elderberries since we don't have any wild on our property but we will see. I'm going to do gourds and sunflowers but those don't go in until later in the spring. We also have fruit trees and lots of bulbs growing around our property and we have a wild grape fine we need to get up on some sort of support. 

Oh and I want to make a pollinator garden as well for my bees and the butterflies. 

We plant lettuces and greens in the early spring.   Summer veggies will be tomatoes, corn, beets, squashes, radishes and lima beans.  I have a strawberry patch an herb garden (both medicinal and culinary) and lots of perennial flowers.   I love gardening!

1 person likes this

I love to garden and had a huge well established garden at our old house. I haven't started one since we moved other than a flower garden. I just don't have the time or energy to start from scratch again.

1 person likes this

On 3/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, tjohuffman@verizon.net said:

We plant lettuces and greens in the early spring.   Summer veggies will be tomatoes, corn, beets, squashes, radishes and lima beans.  I have a strawberry patch an herb garden (both medicinal and culinary) and lots of perennial flowers.   I love gardening!

I love it!! I want a large herb garden with both culinary and medicinal herbs but I'm trying to figure out the best way to make that happen. I would also love a strawberry patch but probably won't attempt that this year. 

9 hours ago, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

I love to garden and had a huge well established garden at our old house. I haven't started one since we moved other than a flower garden. I just don't have the time or energy to start from scratch again.

Oh bummer moving is such a pain! I hope you are able to get something going eventually :) 

I love to garden.

Last year though, Arlene and I agreed to cut back on the veggie growing because we were not going to have enough time to do the 4-H and other summer activities and still take care of the garden since her older sister was working full time. We have decided for this summer that we are going to grow all flowers in our garden - except the strawberries, those take care of themselves. 

The only reason this plan worked out for us last year is because our local farmers market has really improved in the past two years, plus we got a Fresh Thyme market about 15 minutes away, so if we need to, we can make a produce run there.

Also, we have a huge front yard flowerbed that has perennials that bloom all spring-fall. That was a 10-year project that has reaped great rewards. I suppose we will need to weed it this summer, but it is fairly simple to maintain.

We have a butterfly garden right outside our front window, and that is a lot of fun to watch the caterpillars eat :)

Those sound awesome!! I would love to grow strawberries but they intimidate me! 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sabrina S said:

Those sound awesome!! I would love to grow strawberries but they intimidate me! 

I just bought a couple plants from Lowe's once Spring and they have spread out ever since. It's not a huge patch, but we get a decent amount of berries for about two weeks. When they spread their runners out too far, I just dig the new plants up and move them back into the middle areas that have thinned out.

1 person likes this

I thought I had responded to this......hmm must not have gone through. Do you have them in a bed of some sort? This sounds easy :). 

I planted our vegetable garden last week.  We've go several types of tomatoes, and several kinds of squash, beets and lettuce.   I need to pick up a eggplant and peppers.

I love working in the dirt!

1 person likes this

Well we ended up getting a few things in, some squash and tomatoes. Our peach trees are doing well and our grape vines look promising. We may get a few berries out of the raspberry bushes I planted last year but we will see. Our apple and pear trees don't look at full as last year but the fruit aren't very big yet so maybe I'm just having trouble seeing them. We may do better in fruit than veggies this year.

Before we moved I had my strawberries in a raised garden which kept them from getting out of control.

1 person likes this

That's sort of how I have my raspberries, I'm about to change them though (which means I'll probably lose a year). I'm thinking about planting my berries in old tires but I'm torn on if that will be safe....

We have a few raised beds and 10 ginormous blueberry bushes.  The bushes are all different varieties, so we have berries from end of June into September.  My husbands babies are asparagus (which the chickens dug up one day when he took the fence down to mow around) and giant pumpkins.  We grew a 98 pound pukka last year, but didn't really try, so we'll see what we do this year.

1 person likes this

The blueberries sound amazing, I"m told they don't grow well where we are. My husband has recently discovered a love for asparagus so wants to try that next year. I have no idea what pukka is....

On 6/3/2018 at 7:02 PM, Sabrina S said:

The blueberries sound amazing, I"m told they don't grow well where we are. My husband has recently discovered a love for asparagus so wants to try that next year. I have no idea what pukka is....

xD  Sorry.  Pukka is a family word for pumpkin.  And those dang chickens tore up the pumpkin within about an hour of transplanting it to the yard.  He was so angry.  He kind of forgot that last time we had chickens *and* a garden, we had to lock the chickens in an enclosed area to keep them out of it.  We don't have that enclosure any more.  I felt so badly for him.  The boys and I went out and tried to replant it (though it's pretty chopped up), so we'll see what happens.

Do you know why you can't grow blueberries?  Is it the soil PH or something?  I thought they pretty much grew everywhere.

I'm not sure about the blueberries, my neighbor said he has tried a few times and they just die and someone told him we just weren't the right place for them. That said, the local nursery carries them so maybe he just didn't have good luck.