Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zekesmom10

Memorial Day Observance

4 posts in this topic

We went to a little Memorial Day ceremony today in town.  A tiny parade of veterans, JROTC, elementary band, and a couple of classrooms.  There were a few speeches, some music, and *gasp* public prayer.  We are odd and had a 27 gun salute (9 vets fired 3 times). 

A few of the elementary classes came over to the park, so Xav got to see his PS teacher from last year.  I was a little irritated about a preschool class that came to watch because they were such chatter boxes and shade was limited, so we had to share a tree.  Honestly, the teachers rounding them all up to leave were louder than the kids.  I was glad they headed back early, but also wanted to thank the teachers for bringing them over in the first place.  KWIM?

2 people like this

Sounds like a nice little celebration. I hope we can eventually find some sort of Memorial Day tradition like this to be a part of but for now taking all mine to something like that sounds overwhelming.

I do honor the veterans of our military, but morally, the wars that America has taken part in were completely unnecessary for our defence. So on Memorial Day, I celebrate the dead of The Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and The War Between The States. I have looked at the history, and I see no other justified wars. And again, nothing against the vets, just against the government for getting us into such unwarranted wars.

I beg to differ that our involvement in the world wars was not necessary. Especially WWII, you think we should have allowed Hitler to continue exterminating the Jews and take over Europe? If anything we should have gotten involved much sooner and ended it all so as to preserve lives, those in concentration camps as well as the soldiers of other countries. More recent wars are certainly more questionable (although I will say, my husband was in Iraq when Hussain was captured, at that time he definitely believed in what we were doing over there, however, the mess we left is not much better). I'm not sure you have a good understanding of these wars but regardless at least you feel there is someone to honor. 

1 person likes this