Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roseacademyacademics

quick, easy breakfast ideas?

20 posts in this topic

My kids are getting tired of the usual cereal and milk or muffin in a mug for breakfast.

Let's share some quick, easy, and fun breakfast ideas that kids can make on their own. I need breakfast to quick and hassle free for me, but easy enough that my teenagers can make and clean up before school.

My kids make their own smoothies. I make my own yogurt and keep fruit frozen including bananas. They love it and take turns coming up with their own recipes!

1 person likes this

We make breakfast burritos and freeze them. I dice up potatoes, green chilies, and either turkey sausage or turkey bacon and fry them together in a skillet. Add salsa in the skillet. Then we scramble the eggs. Add the potato mixture, eggs, and cheese to a tortilla. Wrap them in saran wrap and aluminum foil. Nice for morning when we have to head out the door quickly. I usually make a batch  of 40.

3 people like this

I haven't made it yet, but I'm going to try this next week Instant Pot Oatmeal. I'm *really* trying to work Steel Cut Oats into our diets, and since we love Coconut Milk, I think this one looks really good - quick, too. We also make smoothies with protein powder and spinach (neither of which they can taste once they throw in the frozen fruit and coconut milk!).

Edited by laura.delgado.phd@gmail.com
spelling

On August 10, 2017 at 5:18 PM, lcmaynard@gmail.com said:

My kids make their own smoothies. I make my own yogurt and keep fruit frozen including bananas. They love it and take turns coming up with their own recipes!

Same here. We throw in a few chia seeds or flax. These are fast, healthy, and super easy for even the youngest kiddos to make.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:48 AM, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

We make breakfast burritos and freeze them. I dice up potatoes, green chilies, and either turkey sausage or turkey bacon and fry them together in a skillet. Add salsa in the skillet. Then we scramble the eggs. Add the potato mixture, eggs, and cheese to a tortilla. Wrap them in saran wrap and aluminum foil. Nice for morning when we have to head out the door quickly. I usually make a batch  of 40.

We have done this too! I use freezer paper though!

These all sound yummmmmmy, we are so boring at breakfast....oatmeal, omelets, eggs and sausage or bacon or french toast or pancakes.

Ohh I want to know how to do a muffin in a mug???? Can it be done with gluten free flour do you think?

The best we get besides cereal is eggs. We are learning how to make them in all the different ways! Scrambled is our favorite, over easy is the second, and we are now mastering poached! 

On 8/16/2017 at 8:30 PM, sabrinascheerer@gmail.com said:

Ohh I want to know how to do a muffin in a mug???? Can it be done with gluten free flour do you think?

I think you can...I've seen Trim Healthy Mama muffin in a mug recipes.

what I really want is the ceramic egg cooker from Pampered Chef for these kinds of things...and anyway who wants to dirty an entire skillet when I'm the only one wanting scrambled eggs (well, me and the dog anyway, but he usually gets my egg leftovers anyway...) 

English muffins, bagels, toast or biscuits, with eggs or sausage or bacon...some combination of those.  Almost always serve fresh fruit, or sometimes "frozen bananas" on the side.  (I cut bananas in half, put on a plastic popsicle stick - the kind you use to make the homemade popsicles - and flash freeze.)  They'll eat bananas all day that way, even though they rarely eat them otherwise.  Sometimes BLT's or pancakes, or if the husband buys frozen waffles I'll offer those.  If I do muffins, I usually make the night before, and I'll sometimes serve banana/zucchini bread with breakfast if we have it.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:19 PM, roseacademyacademics said:

what I really want is the ceramic egg cooker from Pampered Chef for these kinds of things...and anyway who wants to dirty an entire skillet when I'm the only one wanting scrambled eggs (well, me and the dog anyway, but he usually gets my egg leftovers anyway...) 

Awesome I'll look that up! thanks!! 

I need to go slowly through this thread! I just got a job (working from home yay) that requires morning hours, I need the kids to get themselves ready so we can start school as soon as I'm done but I don't want them eating cereal every day!

I have one daughter that has to have meat for breakfast every day and she needs to eat as soon as she gets up so I cheat a little and buy Banquet brown and serve sausage links. I also keep pancakes, muffins, and scones in the freezer. I prefer yogurt with homemade granola and blackberries.  

I make and freeze pancakes and waffles. I also have been making Sausage Egg and Cheese Bagels and freezing them too. It's quick to make and gives the kids a break from cereal. 

Sometimes we have bananas sliced into milk or plain yogurt (usually homemade, because we have a daughter with Crohn's disease) with a splash of vanilla. Some kiddos will have a spoonful of peanut butter with it. This wouldn't last if I were sending them off to school, but since we can have a snack in a couple hours, we're good. 

Great ideas all around! 

This was a great idea for a post! And lots of great ideas here. I think my kids are getting tired of cereal - plus it's just so expensive, even at Costco. I think I'll implement some of these ideas starting next week; the boys will need something more substantial than cereal once we dive into school again on Tuesday. 

We love to make overnight oats. SOOO many recipes around the web.  I can toss it together the night before in less than five minutes and put it in the fridge. Poof instant breakfast in the morning.  

On 8/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, roseacademyacademics said:

Did you know you can do scrambled eggs in a plain old coffee mug?  Spray it, crack your eggs, add 1 spoon of cottage cheese and anything else (salt, pepper, mix-ins), stir, cook 45 seconds, mix with fork, cook another 45 seconds.  I guess if you add lots of mix-ins, you might need more time?

On 9/21/2017 at 7:16 AM, Crystal Starr said:

We love to make overnight oats. SOOO many recipes around the web.  I can toss it together the night before in less than five minutes and put it in the fridge. Poof instant breakfast in the morning.  

I do this also my favorite is pecan, coconut, and a pinch of brown sugar. I use almond milk and sometimes I add maple syrup before I serve it!