Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabrina S

Child Proofing HELP!!!

6 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, wondering if anyone has any great childproofing hacks? I've got a child that outsmarts almost all childproofing. He is 3. He gets into the fridge and freezer, the cabinets. The cabinet locks I have aren't working but our cabinets are too thin to install the permanent latches. I have a gate into the kitchen but he can open it. He climbs. The biggest issue is him getting into the kitchen and/or running outside. He can also open and climb our gates outside and get out of the yard (we live in the country on an acre but the road in front of the house is busy and the cars drive fast so it isn't safe for him to be out of the fence. For now we can keep him in the house with the child-lock door knobs but if he is anything like his sister he will figure out how to get those off pretty soon. When we are outside playing or working I need to keep him in the fence. So anyway thought I'd see if any of you have any ideas I haven't thought of. 

Can you put a lock on the outside of the fence that an adult can reach over to access, but he is too small to reach?

We have door alarms.  There are two kinds at our house.  One makes a noise when it is opened.  One sends an alert to our phones.

We used the TotLocks on our cabinets, but I think that is what you are saying you can't use.

We have a doorbell sounding alarm on the snack cupboard, too, so we know when someone is sneaking something.

There are a couple kinds of door knob covers.  Maybe when he figures one out, you could try another?

Your kitchen gate sounds like a swinging gate.  I know the pressure kind are less convenient, but they're harder to open if they are tight.  Of course, they aren't very tall either...

I wish I had a magic answer for you. 

I'm no help.  My 3 year old is also that child.  When we lived in town, our front steps went straight to the sidewalk, so we installed chain locks at the top.  Perhaps you could combine that with some kind of door alarm like mentioned above, to at least give you time to get there before he gets out.  

If he can climb the fence, you're only option is to train him not to climb it, and to respond immediately to your commands to STOP or return to you.  We live rural, but also on a road where they drive too fast.  We don't have a fence, and have a shared driveway, so I understand your concern.  If we are playing in certain areas you can't see us when you're driving up, so if she darts out from behind the storage building or parked car, which was a scary habit of hers for a long time, they wouldn't know to watch out.  The only thing I CAN do is to make sure she doesn't go in the driveway (or "the rocks" as she calls it), and make sure she responds immediately to stop or come back to me.   It is exhausting and time consuming, but I have worked at removing her immediately and making her sit with me if she doesn't obey, which is not nearly as fun as playing with siblings.  She's gotten a lot better over the last few months.  I wish I could say she was consistently obedient, but we're still working on that.

Well we have locks on the fridge, I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before he yanks hard enough to knock them off (happened last time we used them) but for now it at least slows him down. I have knobs on both doors-the chain locks got yanked out long ago. Again, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before those are figured out but for now it works. He climbs the fence, hubby removed the part he thought was being used as a step but little man still gets over it. A lock on the gate is no good since he just goes over. Oh and we found better child locks for the cabinets (hubby says they are too thin for the tot-locks). His new thing is turning on the hose and just letting water run everywhere. I have 5 kids and only the oldest responds immediately to what I say so I've given up on that, it isn't going to happen so prevention is key. I have come to the conclusion he just can't be outside without me since my oldest two can't control him (literally can't). I have to be there to physically stop or prevent whatever he is trying to do. Super inconvenient for me and means less outside time for him but I can't have him running off. This kid is exhausting, hopefully at 4 he will have at least a bit more self control.

I can't let my youngest outside without an adult either, so I understand the frustration, but I also hate going outside right now, because I can't just sit down and read a book or tend to outdoor chores.  I'm constantly watching her like a hawk, or walking her back to a safe place.  It is exhausting, and I've said the same thing--hopefully by next summer!  There was an article going around FB recently by a mom who didn't like to go to outings/parties/events, because of young children, and I can so relate.  My younger two are now 5 and 3, and I feel like we're getting close to seeing the light at the end of that tunnel, but as of right now, I feel like I have to be a homebody, because it's impossible to go places with toddlers and actually enjoy myself.    O.o

Yes!!! Going places is a pain, actually for some reason getting home from places is the real pain, they jump out of the car and scatter and it is awful trying to get everyone where and doing what they are supposed to be doing lol. I braved the park last week. Of course, that means my 12-year-old gets assigned one kid and I watch the other. I hate assigning her to one but I can only chase one in one direction at a time. We don't often go to parks lol. I have a 3 and a 1 year old so I have a few years of this left. I regularly remind myself it is temporary.