Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zekesmom10

Zoology

5 posts in this topic

What is your favorite curriculum, component, book, video, etc to teach zoology to middle schoolers and up?  I am teaching a co-op class, so it has to be something I can throw together without forcing all the families to purchase anything.  I want the course to have some meat and plan to give homework.  We don't meet enough for a high school credit, no matter what, but I'd like for it to count toward a bio credit or other science credit.  SchoolhouseTeaachers.com has some great stuff, but since it's a co-op, I can't really use one of their classes.  I'm searching the web and finding some great stuff, but since my kids are just reaching this age, I've never really taught this level before.

1 person likes this

I don't have specific resources, as my oldest is only entering 6th grade.  The first two thoughts I had though were suggesting James Herriot books, if you think they can or would get them from the library, and including nature study.  Just last year we had parents bring in chicks, hamsters, and what I think were cow bones for different classes.  I'd probably have them keep a nature journal, with a focus on animals of course.

2 people like this

That sounds fun but I don't know any resources like you are describing. What about dissecting things? There are some homeschool science supply companies you can get things to dissect from. Not sure what your budget is. I also like the idea of bringing in different things. Maybe some bird watching stuff have them write/sketch the birds they see and identify them, you could do this with other animals too....

On 7/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, Sabrina S said:

That sounds fun but I don't know any resources like you are describing. What about dissecting things? There are some homeschool science supply companies you can get things to dissect from. Not sure what your budget is. I also like the idea of bringing in different things. Maybe some bird watching stuff have them write/sketch the birds they see and identify them, you could do this with other animals too....

You both have great ideas.  Unfortunately, other moms had them first.  ;)  We had a bird class last year and this year there is a more formal biology class just for high school (mine is sixth grade and up).  They will be doing the dissecting.  Thankfully!  o.O  My budget is zero.  I inherited the class idea from someone who couldn't teach it, so no fee was attached.  I don't mind buying a few really great things that will stay on my shelf after the class though.

I might be able to get a few small critters.  One of our (great!) grandmothers teaches a class for littles and usually brings a chicken and a lamb or kid at some point in the year.  Maybe we can borrow those...

On 7/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, Sabrina S said:

You both have great ideas.  Unfortunately, other moms had them first.  ;)  We had a bird class last year and this year there is a more formal biology class just for high school (mine is sixth grade and up).  They will be doing the dissecting.  Thankfully!  o.O  My budget is zero.  I inherited the class idea from someone who couldn't teach it, so no fee was attached.  I don't mind buying a few really great things that will stay on my shelf after the class though.

I might be able to get a few small critters.  One of our (great!) grandmothers teaches a class for littles and usually brings a chicken and a lamb or kid at some point in the year.  Maybe we can borrow those...