mphavens214@att.net

Hello Adventure Seekers!

12 posts in this topic

Homeschooling family of 6, ages are 10, 7,5 & 5months.  Babies can be tricky and so we will see how our new homeschool year plays out with baby???? Hmmmm.....the beauty of homeschooling is we will not start until Sept 18th this year, due to 2 vacations back to back.  Funny thing we will probably still be done by June.  Who else is starting later than the average public/private schoolers?

2 people like this

We school all year round. We just have a lighter schedule in the summer. Two vacations back to back...how exciting. Hope you have a fantastic time! 

2 people like this

I'm the same as above, school all year but lighter schedule in the summer. We are gradually starting back now but that is because our fall schedule is dictated by our CC community. We have a 6 month old so I hear ya about "seeing how it plays out." 

1 person likes this

We usually don't start school until after Labor Day but this year my adult daughter is coming home twice for 3-4 days each time in September. So I figure we need to start a little early this year. During the summer we only use review items. 

1 person likes this

We school all the time. It's become so much of life, the kids feel weird if I try to make them skip a day. Hah. They even took some school books when we went fishing and camping. LOL 

1 person likes this

While I did not homeschool my children....I can certainly see advantages to the whole program.   So much learning to be done outside the classroom/at different paces/about so many un-touched subjects.   Often I was frustrated that we were tied to that "school schedule".  So while I did not homeschool and my "babies" are grown and married, I really enjoy hearing all your suggestions and ideas.  Thank you for sharing!   

We school year-round because we travel full-time. Still, when the regular schools start, I instantly feel "behind." Even after 17 years of homeschooling!

1 person likes this

So far our year isn't going well.....ugh. I'm reminding myself it is ok. Sometimes I have to say "what would I tell someone in this situation who comes to me for advice" then take my own advice!! Why is it we can give others so much more grace than ourselves? 

My house is a wreck, the baby is going through a leap and is SUPER clingy (not that he ever isn't clingy) the toddler is going through a jealous/possessive stage and is just generally a toddler. Last year's school stuff is in boxes in my dining room, the new school stuff is in a pile on the floor, it was sort of organized until someone knocked it over and the shelves it needs to go on are still cluttered.....

I have less than 2 more months of this deployment to survive and I'm not even remotely motivated to make them "do school." My oldest has to do her assignments but her stuff is organized separately and she does most of it on her own. 

I've just decided it is ok if we don't really start until November! Then I think about November......Hubby coming home, I'm the area coordinator for Operation Christmas Child so half of November is all focused on that.....maybe we will just start in January!!! (Really we will take life as it comes and do a bit here and there....luckily I'm already a relaxed schooler!).

1 person likes this

We technically school through the summer, counting days toward our 180 days here in PA. However, we take off for VBS and camp. We also participate in summer reading programs. Schooling through the summer is just a couple of weeks here, a couple of weeks there. We finish our school year right before June 18th and file our paper work. Then we have those weeks where we do some school, take off some more, then have our "first day of school" day for the new school year at the beginning of Sept some time. That is when we do all our first day of school traditions.

I try to stick to a last week of August - late April/early May schedule.   We take a week off at Thanksgiving, and a week at Christmas, and our Fridays this year are only co-op days (which may totally ruin my early April end time).   Birthdays are holidays, so we take those off as well.

We do sometimes work on math (mostly higher math) during the summer to keep it fresh in the high schoolers brain, and we do a great deal of reading, but no formal lessons other than that.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:58 AM, kkent said:

I am so sorry to hear this....my heart is breaking for you.   The staff at Heirloom Audio will keep your son, you  and your family in our thoughts and prayers.    Please keep us posted.  Kim

"Keep your head up.  God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers"  

My son is back in a locked acute care facility.

1 hour ago, lorimoffit@gmail.com said:

My son is back in a locked acute care facility.

Thank you for sending the update.   Heirloom Audio will keep you...your son...yoru family in our thoughts and prayers.    Kim