tfullan

Favorite Children's Books

29 posts in this topic

What are your favorite children's books? I'll start! One of my very favorites is Miss Twiggley's Tree! LOVE!

1 person likes this

My daughter could not get enough of the  Madeline books .,..she is 25 and  has so many fond memories of her Grandmother reading this to her.    :)

1 person likes this

Where do you start?! I have quite a few. I love reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" (and just about any board book!) to my youngest one. But if we're talking about books with more than 5 words a page, my 9-year-old has really enjoyed the Narnia series. By the way, my favorite Bible book for young kids is The Big Picture Story Bible. (The Jesus Storybook Bible is a close second.) 

Edited by mfoust
1 person likes this

Ohhh so many books!  My daughter loves the Brown Bear book (and the others such as Polar Bear, Polar Bear...).  She also likes Jamberry, the Llama Llama books and of course, the nursery rhymes book called The Nursery Treasury. 

2 people like this

Llama Llama books are always a favorite in our house! Now that my kiddos are getting older, they love reading the Magic Treehouse series and Boxcar kids! The Elephant and Piggie series are always a good laugh by Mo Willems!

Edited by styler
2 people like this

On 7/10/2017 at 5:57 PM, styler said:

Llama Llama books are always a favorite in our house! Now that my kiddos are getting older, they love reading the Magic Treehouse series and Boxcar kids! The Elephant and Piggie series are always a good laugh by Mo Willems!

I have heard great things about the Boxcar Kids series.   Think I may need to do some reading myself!

I don't even know how to divide it down to name just one. We have a plethora of favorites. It's why I blog what I blog about. Hah. We love classics, award winners, and oh to the book lists. I love trying others recommendations and creating more lists of my own. 

http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2015/08/22/our-next-read-aloud-book-lists/

Edited by CherryBlossomMJ
added link
1 person likes this

My siblings and I love the Baker Family Adventures! As well as the Elsie Dinsmore Series, G.A. Henty, Lamplighter Books, Men of Grit Series, and Douglas Bond Books.

Oooo... just thinking about this is too hard. We don't have a favorite. That would either eliminate too many books or create a list too long for this page.

Our current reads, however, are The Ranger's Apprentice series, The Kids' Series (Kid Presidents, Kid Artists, and the like), books by Diana Aston and Sylvia Long (A Nest is Noisy, and the rest), Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman, Professor Astro Cat series, and so many more. 

That's a hard question! One of them is, "Where the Red Fern Grows". The Narnia series, The Kingdom Series, and The Knights of Arrethtrae books by Chuck Black, and many of the books by Patricia Polacco.That is the short list as my family loves books. 

I love Where the Red Fern Grows so very much, but it's so sad! The Grandma's Attic books by Arleta Richardson were some of my favorites when I was a kid and my own children love them, too. All-of-a-Kind Family as well!

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Over in the Meadow for littles,  Caddie Woodlawn for older and our new favorites are from Lamplighter Publishing---Teddys Button, Basil, and The Secret Bridge for more mature readers!

For some ridiculous reason I love "Too Many Pumpkins," by Linda White.

Then, of course, all the classics, like the Madeline books, Seuss, Winnie the Pooh--yes, definitely Winnie the Pooh.

I have one who loves anything historical, so she's always reading historical fiction and biographies.    I've found that older kids/tweens like the Rick Riordan books a great deal.

I have one who loves Hardy Boys, and anything related to Batman. Another who loves anything related to nature, and dinosaurs. One of my twins is currently reading Little House books, but his favorite is anything about presidents. His twin doesn't like to read, and has to be strongly encouraged to do so.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:51 AM, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

That's a hard question! One of them is, "Where the Red Fern Grows". The Narnia series, The Kingdom Series, and The Knights of Arrethtrae books by Chuck Black, and many of the books by Patricia Polacco.That is the short list as my family loves books. 

I've recently been recommended the Chuck Black books. I'd never heard of them before. They're some sort of fantasy series, right? What would you compare them to, Renee?

1 person likes this

On 11/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, JD Sutter said:

I've recently been recommended the Chuck Black books. I'd never heard of them before. They're some sort of fantasy series, right? What would you compare them to, Renee?

They are a mix of Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Read The Kingdom Series first. They are sort of an allegory from some of the stories in our Bible.The first 2 books are slower but, it really builds the foundation of the rest of the books. My kids favorite are The Knights of Arrethtrae but, you would appreciate that series and understand it better by starting with The Kingdom series first.

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

They are a mix of Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Read The Kingdom Series first. They are sort of an allegory from some of the stories in our Bible.The first 2 books are slower but, it really builds the foundation of the rest of the books. My kids favorite are The Knights of Arrethtrae but, you would appreciate that series and understand it better by starting with The Kingdom series first.

Awesome! Thank you! I'll have to add them to my TBR list. :)

On 8/1/2017 at 0:40 AM, Cristina@ahomeschoolmom.com said:

Oooo... just thinking about this is too hard. We don't have a favorite. That would either eliminate too many books or create a list too long for this page.

Our current reads, however, are The Ranger's Apprentice series, The Kids' Series (Kid Presidents, Kid Artists, and the like), books by Diana Aston and Sylvia Long (A Nest is Noisy, and the rest), Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman, Professor Astro Cat series, and so many more. 

Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman, by far is my daughter's favorite book! It goes everywhere with her! She's a nature lover, though, so it's a very noteworthy book! :) Your other books look very interesting as well, so we'll have to look those ones up, thank you! Ang Cobb

1 person likes this

Oh, I kind of forgot to mention my others! Lamplighter Ministries is another favorite! It's located about 2 hours from us and our best friends run the Bindery for their beautiful reprinted books written from the 1600's, 1700's and 1800's. We've visited the Lamplighter Ministries headquarters in May, to get a tour of the production process and it was awesome! So I'm kind of partial, but the reprinted books are amazingly recreated in the fashion of the time with leather pressed bindings, I believe! The whole of the audio studio is inside a handsome looking Church built in 1853! Definitely a place to visit if you ever do some traveling to Upstate New York, a Christian ministry and great people! :)

1 person likes this