12 posts in this topic

Hey all! 

We've been back to school nine weeks now, considering we school year round, and this year I've noticed a significant change in my children's learning. All of a sudden my teens no longer have a desire to participate in family group learning. Whereas before we would do history together and science together, they now prefer me to hand them their textbook and let them work at their own pace. I confess I have mixed feelings about this.

It's not that work is not getting done, and done well. It is. I just miss the feeling of unity and involvement. It's as if I'm not doing enough and I'm no longer part of this portion of their education. While I understand things need to change and we need to adapt to their growing needs, the Lord is still working in me to give me peace on this matter. 

How are things changing in your teens' learning, or have you noticed a change? And how are you dealing with this?

Thanks!
Cristina

21 hours ago, Cristina@ahomeschoolmom.com said:

Hey all! 

We've been back to school nine weeks now, considering we school year round, and this year I've noticed a significant change in my children's learning. All of a sudden my teens no longer have a desire to participate in family group learning. Whereas before we would do history together and science together, they now prefer me to hand them their textbook and let them work at their own pace. I confess I have mixed feelings about this.

It's not that work is not getting done, and done well. It is. I just miss the feeling of unity and involvement. It's as if I'm not doing enough and I'm no longer part of this portion of their education. While I understand things need to change and we need to adapt to their growing needs, the Lord is still working in me to give me peace on this matter. 

How are things changing in your teens' learning, or have you noticed a change? And how are you dealing with this?

Thanks!
Cristina

Hi Cristina,

While I did not homeschool my two kids, I did see a change in them wanting to do their own school work during those teen years.  I agree it is difficult change but you obviously have rasied great kids that are taking responisbility for their academics.   When my kids got to the point of wanting to do their own work, we would  select other activities to do as a group--it might have been a project that we all worked on, or we would read a book and do a discussion on it.  Sometimes it was a trip to a museum for the day.   I would try to incorporate learning in everything we did.   Best job in the world is being a Mom...hardest job in the world is being a Mom.    Kim 

1 person likes this

Yep!! I have five kids with 4 of them being 15 and older and my youngest is 12. All four of them wanted to work on their own around the age of 14. I guess it is just part of growing up but I really miss those times we would all learn together.  

1 person likes this

We're just in the beginnings. While we've been workbooking it a lot. In the past few weeks I've experimented with working all together in what I call a snuggle school format and things have completely changed. I do hope we can keep it a while before their independence comes back out! 

Oh gosh, I'm pushing my 12-year-old to do her work on her own!! That said at the moment I'm barely keeping my head above water and she has a rigorous program she needs to keep up with!

1 person likes this

My son who is 16 has been difficult. I know it's the age and part of it is the autism. I try very hard to incorporate things of his interest but it seems that when we start to he loses interest right away. So it's been rather frustrating. My daughter on the other hand she hasn't hit her teens yet but she absolutely loves learning. She is blossoming and soaking up things like a sponge. 

Have any ideas for me with my son? 

My 16-year-old will avoid all group learning by finding strange excuses. I think this is the independent, want to be able to do it on their own stage. I am ok with it, as long as he gets his school done and passes. As long as he still joins us for family dinner each night and talks to us, I am ok with him doing school on his own and how he wants...I think... ;-)

1 person likes this

This is our first year of not having any classes together (grades 7 & 10) and I really miss it, and so does the 7th grader.   The 10th grader seems fine either way.

My son who is in 6th grade is already wanting to work more independent. It makes me miss the days when we did lots of hands on learning!

1 person likes this

My oldest daughter began realizing she could actually finish school earlier if she did it alone. My others are quickly following that too. 

1 person likes this

Mine are 16, 14, and 12 year-old twins. The oldest two both wanted to be completely independent by high school. They, too, realized that they could finish sooner that way. I'm all for my 14 year-old working independently because I'm trying to get him ready to do dual credit classes at the community college. My twins still love "group classes" (science and history), so we'll definitely do them as long as they like them. I'll miss them when they decide we're done!

By the time ours were 6th and 8th grades, they each did most of their work independently. We still did life together, and field trips, but they tended to do most of their work by themselves. The goal after all, is to raise them until they can take care of themselves. Doing their work by themselves is just one step towards being able to manage their own schedules. Don;t worry, they'll be back to snuggle on the couch when they've had a rough day, or just get lonely. :)

1 person likes this