Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zekesmom10

Eclipse

5 posts in this topic

What did you all do for the eclipse today?  Were you in/near the path of totality?

We had 58% coverage.  I had eclipse viewers that I was able to confirm were good.  We spent some time this morning making two pinhole viewers out of shoeboxes.  I tried using my camera in selfie mode, but it was too bright to see the screen.  We also did a pinhole in a 4x6 card and held it over another card, but it was super tiny.  And I tried my colander which has rectangular holes, so that didn't really work, although a friend has one with square holes that worked fine.  The temperature here dropped 3.5 degrees.  We were in and out the whole time, watching live videos along the path of totality between our own viewing.

We had 93% here. We got invited to a friends house that is 45 minutes to 100% totality but, I didn't want to drive for it.

Instead we went to nature center here in town that had crafts and games for the kids. We met up with friends and let the kids play and have a picnic.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:28 PM, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

We had 93% here. We got invited to a friends house that is 45 minutes to 100% totality but, I didn't want to drive for it.

Instead we went to nature center here in town that had crafts and games for the kids. We met up with friends and let the kids play and have a picnic.

We had 90% coverage.  I would've driven the hour, but we were a few hours from totality, which wasn't worth the effort with a toddler since we'd be on the road ALL day.  Maybe next time when the kids are older.  

We watched a bunch of videos from NASA in the morning, then just went outside to play around the time it started.  It was still really hot for awhile, and temperature only dropped about two degrees, but it felt much cooler without the direct sunlight.  It got kind of a gray color for awhile, it was eerie.  There were some guys from a tree trimming company parked across the road trying to watch so we sent them an extra pair of glasses.  (We got six pair when my boys had a regular vision appointment about a month ago - but toddler didn't care about it and husband left his at home for his parents.)  We didn't do anything special, except fill out a fun little worksheet with a drawing to put in their nature journals.

We're in the path of totality for 2024, so we decided not to try to drive somewhere with a better view.  As long as we don't move...

16 hours ago, Zekesmom10 said:

We're in the path of totality for 2024, so we decided not to try to drive somewhere with a better view.  As long as we don't move...

We're not in the path for that one either, but it looks like it would be a (slightly) shorter drive.  But in 7 years, my 2 year old will be 9 and that will make a huge difference for driving or flying, LOL!