Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

Solar Eclipse

5 posts in this topic

Where was your view of the solar eclipse yesterday?  Our view was virginia with only 86 percent totality.  It was really cool to see although it still freaked me out to send my kids out with paper glasses by nasa and tell them to look at the sun directly......what were your experiences yesterday good or bad?  

We went to the Paper Factory in Appleton. They had an eclipse party there. We only had 78 percent totality. The kids had the chance to do different eclipse crafts and make paper suns. The paper was made from pulp that they did. We sat out there with our glasses. We ended up sharing our glasses with others who did not have them. It was a pretty neat experience. I think though the adults had more fun looking then the kids. 

Our town library hosted a party/picnic at the park, which just happens to be just beyond our backyard. We took a dish-to-pass and enjoyed the meal. Then there was a gentleman who taught the kids (and adults) about solar eclipses. He brought two telescopes, though we only used the bigger one. He had a filter on it so it was safe to watch the eclipse. We also had some eclipse glasses we purchased at Walmart. I attached them to paper plates as I had seen done on Facebook. I love that it kept the children from peeking above or below the glasses. I have no clue what percent of totality we had here in northern PA, but you could really only tell there was an eclipse if you were watching with the glasses or the telescope. Though at the peak of the eclipse it was a bit darker and cooler, but nothing too noticeable. 

1 person likes this

We're southwest of Indianapolis and were supposed to be around 93% totality.  We also had some much-needed rain in our forecast.  We alternated paper glasses, index card pinhole viewers and a welding hood.  With the intermittent cloud cover, it didn't seem any darker than a cloudy day.  I know we read that close wouldn't really be close enough -- it's true!  But, the next one in April 2024 will be right over us -- we're in the path of totality.  Now we are really excited for that one (until I start thinking of how old my children will be and who may not be living at home then :S

1 person likes this

We sat in our yard and had about 20 people over. We had 1 min 40 seconds of totality and it was awesome!!! I am so glad we had totality. 

2 people like this