Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robchristiemartin@gmail.com

With Lee in Virginia

6 posts in this topic

That is an interesting question.  The events that were portrayed in With Lee are true historical events.  I heard an interview done by the LA Times with an  elderly woman about the removal of a civil war/confederate tombstone.   She eloquently stated that  if we mess with our "history" we remove those teaching and learning points.   At what point do we stop?    As for With Lee, I look at the kindness and friendship between Vincent and Dan.   Both Grant and Lee were fighting for causes they believed in.  I think we have to much "its all about me" in our society and if it offends "me" it is wrong and not open for civilized discussion.  We all need to agree that we have a right to disagree....but we all need to respect each other.      Just my feelings.....

Very good question. Very good. I think it boils down to perspective. Each of us will have a different perspective based upon our unique circumstances and life events. Coming from my personal set, I see history as history, and have never been offended by a statue. BUT...my life's events are not the same as someone else's, so I try to remain open and understanding that not everyone shares the same experiences in life and what may be truly bothersome to one, may not be to another. 

1 person likes this

History is just that history.   While you can become passionate about sides/subjects, your passion doesn't change what happened. I don't think it should impact or change the way you use this product, it's still the same as it was before all the media hoopla started.

1 person likes this

I pose a question to those who would like to tear down the statues, would you tear down the Lincoln Memorial?

Edited by burkefamily@integrity.com
Mispelling
1 person likes this