robchristiemartin@gmail.com

Worldview and the Confederate Statues

9 posts in this topic

I must say I grieved after listening to your podcast about the Confederate statues

Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson obviously had some great character traits and evidently had a strong faith.  But they operated from a faulty worldview - one that allowed them to fight for states that wanted to continue the legality of slavery.  It doesn't matter that only 1 in 17 Southern families owned slaves, and that many border states allowed slavery and did not secede from the Union.  A major tenet of the war was over the right of people to continue to enslave others.

Many of these statues were built during the first part of the 20th century as a slam against Black citizens exercising their rights.  Every day on major boulevards in their cities, these statues would stare them in the face saying whites will always be better. Even today black families have to take their children down major streets in cities like Richmond, and try to explain why these statues are so prominent.  I would not want Confederate graveyards to be dug up, but these statues need to be moved to places where they can be explained in their historical context.

Would we want statues of Hitler and Goebbels in the streets of Berlin, because they are part of German history?  Part of the freedom of the Soviet Union involved taking down the statues of Lenin and Stalin, and we applaud that.

I completely agree with Stonewall Jackson's descendents - take the statues down

I want to answer this as respectful as I can as this topic is so controversial. I don't know that I agree with taking the statues down completely. I think part of me doesn't really understand the feelings behind it either. I guess maybe I don't see one color being better then the other as we are equal. I try very hard to treat people with the same respect that I would want to be treated. It was the past and things are so different now. Reading your post I get a little glimpse into understanding so I thank you for sharing your sharing your thoughts. 

I don't know that the statues were built as a slam against black citizens. If that was the intentions when they were done that is horrible. Then I could understand the feelings that you mentioned.  I do like the idea of instead of taking them down moving them to so they can be explained in their historical context. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, a49erfangirl@charter.net said:

I want to answer this as respectful as I can as this topic is so controversial. I don't know that I agree with taking the statues down completely. I think part of me doesn't really understand the feelings behind it either. I guess maybe I don't see one color being better then the other as we are equal. I try very hard to treat people with the same respect that I would want to be treated. It was the past and things are so different now. Reading your post I get a little glimpse into understanding so I thank you for sharing your sharing your thoughts. 

I don't know that the statues were built as a slam against black citizens. If that was the intentions when they were done that is horrible. Then I could understand the feelings that you mentioned.  I do like the idea of instead of taking them down moving them to so they can be explained in their historical context. 

My concern is where does all this end....there are things that offend/bother me.   Do I start a movement to have those statues removed...those books removed...those flags removed? What's next.....could the Bible be considered offensive to another religeon?  What about our glorious flag?   Is that an object that some consider bothersome/offensive?     I really do enjoy the respectful comments and replys on this forum.   Maybe if our "country" acted like this our issues coudl be resolved peacefully.    Just my .2 cents.   

1 person likes this

I know as a white person that I cannot experience everything that our racial minorities has experienced.  Obviously Charlottesville showed us that the sin of racism still afflicts our country.  Hearing from minorities who have a deep Christian faith has helped me understand me what pain we can cause them, often ignorantly.  In this case, these statues are a symbol of many who believe that the white race is superior.

Robert E. Lee was a great man, with a deep faith, and like all of us, he had a blind spot.  We all have blind spots where we practice something that is grievous to our Creator

I believe that Lee will be serving our Lord with us forever, but he will mourn, like all of us will, the failings he had on earth

See I see those statues as totally something different. I don't think any race is superior as we are all human beings. That's the problem there are some that see it that way and that is a shame. 

1 person likes this

I see the statues as history. I firmly believe that as a county we are forgetting our history both good and bad. I think it's important to remember our history as a nation. I guess I don't see the statues as wrong. At the same time you made a great point about the statues in Russia. I just hope we can preserve them for other generations to understand the history. As a white person I haven't experienced that kind of racism before. It makes me sad seeing all of this going on.I don't see skin color I see God's creation.

As a believer in Jesus who practices her Jewish faith and remembering the holocaust it strikes a deep cord with me. The Jewish people say, "never again and never forget". I'm afraid we will forget as a county and wonder if that kind of hate can happen again. I see that kind of hate happening all over Europe and many Jewish people are fleeing to Israel. The first time many Jewish people in American wonder if we will have to leave America. I hope not but, this is how it slowly started in Europe since the Jews were expelled from Spain-history was forgotten in Europe and it has happened many times.

I like the respectful and thoughtful comments. It shows God's character traits in the comments.

1 person likes this

I've never viewed the statues as offensive, but then again my personal unique life circumstances have never given me a reason to. I think it's important to view things from the perspective of others. It's easy to look at them and see them as historically relevant, unless you're someone who can look at them and see them as a reminder that your great grandparents were once owned by those who erected the statues. I think that makes a huge difference in how one interprets things. We haven't forgotten Hitler, but we also don't have his statues on Capitol grounds. I think a great idea would be a national Civil War museum or park for statues from both sides. 

And I don't think it's even a matter of being offended or not. They aren't an offense, but a reminder that even today people who are not white are seen as "less than" by a large majority of people. At least here they are. I have a friend whose father is a lawyer, and the president of a University here. He has been forcibly removed from his car, and made to lay face down on the pavement over a blown tail light. And he said he's been pulled over countless times and they've not had anything to ticket him for, so they have made up stuff like misuse of signal, and he's not even been turning. He's black. In college I heard a GA student teacher refer to some guys as, "Stupid black guys who only have the hope of football to get through school." Racism is alive and well, even if we don't practice it ourselves. :( 

I'm a white person, and have experienced some amounts of rascism. I have mexican friends that say they used to be scared of white people. Or black friends that say that when they were younger, they just didn't go in some "white" communities.That said, I want to get into this issue without assuming rascism is only on the side of white people. But to get to the real issue, the statues. The Civil War is history. Just like any other war or conflict in history. As such, we should learn from it and enjoy it just as if we were reading something about the English cruelties in Ireland for instance. There will always be injustice, war, and hatred in this world. I believe the Southerners in the war between the states fought not for slavery, but for states rights. As they seceded way before Abe signed the Emancipation Proclamation, and he only did it because the North needed more soldiers and better PR. If I was in the South in the Civil War, I couldn't with good conciensce join either side, for parts of both sides fully supported forcing other people to do their will.I would pose a question to someone who wants to tear down the statues, why don't we tear down the Lincoln Memorial then. Also, I don't think that people/mob rule/democracy should dictate what is offensive and not offensive.