Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
laura.delgado.phd@gmail.com

Hurricane Harvey

11 posts in this topic

Is anyone else in the hurricane's path? I live in Houston, and have for the past 37 years, so this is not my first rodeo (hurricane). We've never flooded in our current home (18 years here), but I consider all of Houston a flood plain, so we're always wary during these rain events. 

So did you stay in Houston? I have family in Victoria and Corpus Christi, they all evacuated except my uncle who works at the hospital. I have many friends in Victoria, San Marcos, New Braunfels, Austin and surrounding areas. My aunt has a home in Rockport that might not have survived. Will be anxious to hear if any of them had any damage when they get back home. I have at least one friend that rode it out in Victoria. From what I'm hearing the Austin area is getting a lot of rain but the winds aren't too bad. Praying for everyone in the path, hope you are doing ok. 

Praying for all those in Texas! I have a friend and I forget which part she is in but she said the little channel you use to hop across is now way bigger. She started moving all her stuff upstairs just in case. Hope your doing ok. 

I hope everyone finds shelter and is safe in Harvey's path.   Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.   

Laura I hope you are doing ok, please update us when you get a chance!! Praying for everyone! My uncle said that their and my grandmother's houses seem to be ok but my aunt and uncle lost their fence. Oh well, just a fence could have been worse. But I don't know if the flooding has gotten worse there and done any additional damage. I also don't know when they expect to have power and water back or when they will try to get back home. 

We're praying for everyone in Texas.   The amount of water I've seen is just hard to even comprehend.   Please update when you can!

I just read that Houstin will get as much rain as the amount of water in the Chesapeake Bay, where I live here in VA......WOW thats just crazy!  Stay safe everyone!

1 person likes this

Oh my gosh. I can't believe it took me this long to get back on here! We ended up evacuating as a result of controlled releases of our reservoirs (like levies in New Orleans). We stayed as long as we dared - kept driving out to see how close the water was getting and finally left at 8:30 at night (which was scary in itself). We drove about 30 miles northwest to stay with my SIL for a few days never sure if our house was flooded or not. Finally, our neighbor went home and texted that we would have to wade into the neighborhood, but that our house didn't flood. We were so thankful. My parents (both over 70) had to retreat to their second floor as water invaded their first floor and they eventually had to be rescued by the Sheriff's Department. The first floor of the house I grew up in was a total gut job (my five siblings and I did the gutting after Harvey finally left). There are still so many people devastated here. I spent Saturday with my family driving through a neighborhood whose houses were submerged for over two weeks handing out lunches and cleaning supplies through our church. When we were cleaning out my parents' house, the people who drove through with lunch were like angels. It's nice to be on the other side of that. I'll confess that I've been very low since the hurricane. I *still* haven't gotten our homeschool off to a proper start, and I'm behind on my freelance job. I'd love your continued prayers.

The pic is of my parents' house with my parents and siblings (and a few of my kids) during the clean out process.

Mom'sHouse.jpg

Will continue to pray. I'm so glad your family and you are safe. Looks like an unending mess.

School can wait as it looks like your kids are learning a lot just helping out others. For your job I'm sure most people can understand your situation.