Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a49erfangirl@charter.net

Math and Writing Suggestions

8 posts in this topic

We have used Math U See, A Plus Tutor Soft, and Teaching Text Books. No matter what math I use my son doesn't like. He struggles with math. It's one of his not so favorite subjects. Just wondering if there is a more engaging program out there. He is 16 but on a 4th Grade level for Math. My son is on the Autism Spectrum and has a Cognitive Delay. 

Another thing I am looking for is a good writing program for 4th Grade. I would like to get my daughter writing more. I haven't found one that I am totally in love with yet. 

Thanks! 

Institute for excellence in writing (IEW) is what I have used for writing for all of my kids. It takes about 3 years for them to really internalize the process and then they are ready to move on otherwise it gets boring and monotonous. 

My favorite math program is right start math. It really makes the math understandable in a hands on way and includes lots of games. Of course you could use it with any age and I think there is a placement test on the website to see which level you should start in. It does take your time and attention to teach the lessons though, so it's very teacher intensive, but I will say it gave my oldest daughter INCREDIBLE mental math skills. I stopped using it because I simply couldn't teach 4 lessons per day to 4 kids all in different levels--it takes about 45 minutes to an hour per lesson.

My 10 year old 5th grader hates math.  We've gone through Math U See and TT as well, plus tried a couple of other things here and there.  He is fine conceptually - he understands math and the how/why without much issue.  He hates memorization and "hates" math.  We were able to get Math on the Level for review, and it's pricey otherwise but it lets you work specifically at their level for every concept.  If they aren't getting something, you move to a different strand of math (so maybe from operations to geometry for awhile) so they're still moving forward.  I am a little nervous about starting it after our vacation full time (until now we've used for assessment/placement/review) because it's teacher-intensive, but I think he needs something like that.  I think it will be easier than him having to "sit through" long lessons when he already gets it, but I can give him more time in the areas he needs it.  

Some other options if your son likes computer/video based might be CTC or Easy Peasy.  EP drops all the games (if he might find those "babyish") around 5th grade I think, and that level starts at the beginning with the basics.

I'm no help with writing.  I have had a love-hate relationship with every writing program we have tried.  I lean Charlotte Mason though, so maybe that's why.  I'm trying to trust her process this year.  My 10 year old is doing oral narration, dictation, some grammar, and written narrations.

I will have to look at IEW. I think I have the Fit It one or at least one of them. 

I will also look into both of these math programs. I have a friend who is giving away Right Start. I should ask her if I can look at that while I am there. She had a writing program called Step It Up... that I wanted to look at. 

I see why he grumbles every day because he doesn't like math. He doesn't ask questions when he doesn't understand. He doesn't say he needs help. I find that very frustrating. It's a struggle each day. I know there has to be one out there that will work. 

My third grader can not stand math. He fights it everyday! Until we started Singapore Math. We enjoy it, there is not a lot of problems for each lesson, but an option to do more if we want to. My 10th grader is another who can't handle math. We fell in love with No Nonsense Algebra. While he doesn't have all the basics understood, I am able to help him enough to get through the lessons. While I have not personally tried it, I was told Critical Thinking Math is a great resource as well.

We use Life of Fred, CTC and Math Mammoth :) my son doesn't like Math Mammoth but I think it's a good program just not 'fun' enough for him I guess!

Our favorite math is CTCMath. So glad we just got it back for review. My 4th grader is the one I had trouble finding a math that she liked, however she seems to like CTCMath and is glad to have access to it again. 

14 hours ago, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

Our favorite math is CTCMath. So glad we just got it back for review. My 4th grader is the one I had trouble finding a math that she liked, however she seems to like CTCMath and is glad to have access to it again. 

I was willing to buy it if we didn't get this one.  This is the ONLY math my 12 yo likes.  He can't memorize facts, but he is able to work at a 5/6th grade level in most other aspects, so I love that we have access to every grade level.  They like (and I love) MUS, but they are distracted by the rods to the point of building with them.  And we all love Life of Fred, but I had to stop at Ice Cream last year because it was getting too hard.  I figure we'll start with Honey again in January and use it again until it gets too hard.  I want it to stay FUN and when it gets difficult, it's no longer fun.  Three years later and they still talk about the duck!  LOL