styler

Homeschool Curriculum

27 posts in this topic

What homeschool curriculum are you currently using? One in particular or a hodge podge of sorts?

1 person likes this

We use an eclectic mixture of curricula.  We use an online resource for math for all ages/levels.  For history, we are very literature rich.  We will be beginning our 12th year homeschooling this fall, so have some favorites while adding in new things each time through the history cycle.  Audio books (and dramas) are great for our spread of ages and saving mama's voice for other things like morning time and read alouds.  

Did you have a question on something specific or just wondering what others do?

Edited by walkingfruitfully@gmail.com
3 people like this

We use a mix of good curriculum too. We enjoy literature based history and follow a relaxed homeschool atmostphere. Have you heard of fun-schooling? It is a great way to let your child study what he or she is interested in.

1 person likes this

I use a wide variety of curriculum with the kids. Each subject is not the same, they are all different companies. The only thing the kids use the same is for Math and Language. My kids are total opposites. One is more hands on and visual and the other just soaks things up not matter what we do. I have heard of fun-schooling. I bought one of the books. We just haven't started it yet. That might be good for our Fridays as it is a laid back day and I use that day for catch up or field trips. 

Though I am new, and have yet to begin (due to my family not being together), my research has me planning to do the Robinson Ciriculum. They have a website with interviews given by Dr. Art Robinson. 

I choose this one because of his philosophy on education (wanting to teach the children to learn) and the training the children to learn on their own. I think we all agree that, as adults, our children should be prepared to continue learning (about our faith, jobs, etc.) and I feel this curriculum builds a very strong base for that. 

Very Respectfully,

Dustin

1 person likes this

We're a mix between Classical Christian Education with some Charlotte Mason based methodology added in. Although, we're still a young school and I am enjoying finding my way. Definitely eager to always read advice from experienced parents on the journey. 

1 person likes this

It depends on the child! We love Monarch for our older kids, but we add in when we need to, or take out when we need to!

1 person likes this

I use an eclectic mixture of resources to homeschool my son. Even though he is sixteen, he has special needs due to his diagnoses of ADHD, Autism, and Learning Disabilities. We use manipulatives and hands-on-tools whenever we can. Our Science is experiment rich. We also use videos, online resources, and board games to enrich our learning experience as well as audio books. Furthermore, we utilize Literature to enrich not only our Language Arts but History, Fine Arts, Spanish, and other lessons when applicable. I'm also a believer that real life experiences are great at teaching life skills as well so we volunteer, have lessons on cooking, financial management, vehicle care, house maintenance, etc.

1 person likes this

We are are an eclectic, relaxed homeschool, but the one thing that has remained consistent is the use of living books.  My favorite program for preschool through mid elementary is Five in a Row, and we've transitioned from there into Beautiful Feet Books for history.  Math has been the hardest subject to nail down, because while my oldest actually does well in math, he "hates" it, so it's hard to find a curriculum that isn't torture for the both of us.  My second son will do just about anything I hand him without complaining, though, so at least there's that!  

1 person likes this

We're very eclectic. We use a little aBeka, Concerned Media, Apologia, and many others. I find I've never come across one company that got it all right. So, we pull the best fit for our children's needs wherever the Lord leads. We prefer natural learning, as often as possible, and living books are essential.

2 people like this

We are eclectic also. I'm using Notgrass for history for the first time, Apologia, Math U See, Bob Jones, and many others. I have a 14 year old with Autism and other learning disabilities. We also do a lot of living books.

2 people like this

I have a sort of eclectic approach. We use Classical Conversations as our spine and math-u-see or Teaching Textbooks for our math. I use Explode the Code for phonics. Other than those it is kind of just whatever I find or whatever the kids feel like pursuing. I take a sort of TJed approach to schooling. 

1 person likes this

Thanks to the Homeschool Review Crew, we use a lot of different things. Some of my favorites are Fix It Grammar (IEW); UnLock Math for the upper grades; Phonetic Zoo spelling (IEW); Apologia science (we've only used one, but it was great). I'm sure there are others, but that's all I've got off the top of my head. 

We are a very eclectic bunch! We use a little of this and a little of that. This year we will be using Apologia, Grammar Galaxy, and more. We like impromptu learning as much as we can. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, CherryBlossomMJ said:

We're a mix between Classical Christian Education with some Charlotte Mason based methodology added in. Although, we're still a young school and I am enjoying finding my way. Definitely eager to always read advice from experienced parents on the journey. 

This year I am really pushing myself into a more Relaxed Homeschool methodology. I'm still learning, but oh to the benefits already! (Lots of "snuggle school"!!) 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, wmr1601@icloud.com said:

Thanks to the Homeschool Review Crew, we use a lot of different things. Some of my favorites are Fix It Grammar (IEW); UnLock Math for the upper grades; Phonetic Zoo spelling (IEW); Apologia science (we've only used one, but it was great). I'm sure there are others, but that's all I've got off the top of my head. 

We are enjoying Phonetic Zoo. I've been debating Fix It Grammar, but haven't actually seen it in person.

My 16 year-old daughter uses St. Thomas Aquinas Academy 11th Grade Roman Studies. My 14 year-old son is using Monarch for the first time this year (mostly 9th grade curriculum, but with Algebra II and Chemistry and Spanish I thrown in). I'm much more eclectic with my 12 year-old twins. As my kids get older, I tend to pick an actual curriculum that suits them. Until then, I just cram them with as much good stuff as will fit in their brains!

Our core curriculum is My Father's World, but we are quite eclectic. This year my three older girls will all be using Creation to the Greeks while my youngest little guy tags along and also uses the 1st grade curriculum. The MFW core includes Bible, History, Science, Music, Art, and read alouds (some of which are included, others are on a list at the back of the Teacher Manual to get from the library). We have to add in math and language arts. MFW has their recommendations that you can purchase through them for spelling, L.A., and math, but I like that it is not a part of the package, because I sort of prefer to use what we choose for those subjects. Thanks to the Homeschool Review Crew we have used different products through the years. 

This year spelling will be Phonetic Zoo for the older two. Plus they have various things to use for language arts. Tabitha (my 10 year old) is using Readers in Residence. Amelia (my 9 year old) is using Lightning Lit. Hannah (7) has English on a Roll for grammar plus Eclectic Foundations.

Math is still up in the air a bit. 

And we will be using various things for foreign language. 

Total eclectic homeschooler over here...I love the versatility we have and I take advantage of it.  I stand by a way of learning, not necessarily a curriculum.  We like real books, lot's of experiments, outside exploring and arts during our day. :)

We use a mixture of curriculum based on child and year.  Our only constant is Learning Language Arts Through Literature and Horizons math through pre-algebra.

We are eclectic. I will use a curriculum until I get bored with it (I really don't like going through the same books with another child) or if it doesn't work with another child. In the mornings we have a group time that lasts for about an hour. We have a devotional, maybe sing a hymn. I always have a fiction book that I'm reading aloud to them. We do other things, too. This year we have done many of the reviews during this morning time. History, elementary science, art, and music are great to do together. They have individual subjects that are on their skill level to do on their own - math, reading, writing.