Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

Activities

4 posts in this topic

Just wondering now that we have 2 kids doing activities, we will eventually have 4 kids participating in activies.  So I am wondering how do you all do activities in your homes?  Music, sports, lessons etc..... Do you make each kid choose 1, do you let them participate in more than 1, is cost a factor, how about time and energy on parents role?  Any tips would be helpful.....ty

Because we travel full-time, this isn't entirely relevant to us. But one thing that we do is prioritize. For example, our eight like to play piano, swing dance, play ukulele, play basketball, ride horses, play violin, play baseball, sing, play guitar, and live in the world of Legos. What can be done without outside help? I can teach piano and guitar for the first few years. We can play baseball and basketball together. If somebody finds they really love something, we can move beyond it at that point, but otherwise, they can still participate in that activity on more of a home-based level.

Also, I ask them things like is, say being on the soccer team something you want so much that you will trade Saturdays with Legos and movie night for it? Or whatever they'll be missing. They can then decide.

Also, when we can we find something like a one-week sport camp or something else affordable and short. They're in it, they're experienced it, they're done. Some of them say it's enough while others want more, so we keep our eyes open for the next event. 

Again, this isn't really too much of an issue with us anymore since we're on the road, but that's how we handle the extras, so our kids can be involved in things.

I love it when my kids can do the same activities. When they were little, they all took an art class. It was nice because each one went into their own grade level for the class but all classes were at the same time. At one point my oldest played the violin and had private lessons, I quickly realized that wasn't going to work because I always to drag 3 other kids with me and entertain them/keep them quiet during her lesson. Then there was the issue that I realized once they all got into private lessons, I'd be doing an awful lot of running and keeping siblings corralled. It's just always helped my sanity when they can do activities together.

We have been involved in our local community theatre for a few years now. It is a big time commitment, but again something we all can do together, even mom. Everyone has a unique job or role so it allows individuality, but I don't have near the amount of running around to accommodate everyone. Since theatre is a HUGE time commitment, we take extended breaks from it to allow them to follow other interests. Mostly we participate in the theatre during the winter season.

Then there are church activities and summer camps. I'm blessed because my four kids are all really close in age so we can usually all go to the same church activities and camps. It's actually really nice to be able to spend time with my teens in their environment and with their friends. You really get to know the other kids and see the influence they have on each other. 

This year, my three high school girls are all playing volleyball. My oldest can drive so that's nice that they can take themselves to practice. I attend occasional practices and of course all the games.

I just can't remain sane AND run kids all over tarnation. We are busy enough as it is. This is an area where I have chosen to simplify. And, yes, sometimes we are just home and don't have the hustle and bustle of activities. Sure, we get bored, but at the same time, it's better than being too busy and exhausted.

This last year I tried to have my girls participate separately but they ended up both wanting to dance. So that was me in a chair for two straight hours while they each had a one hour class. Watching the crazy toddler run atound and then being very pregnant and missing he last month due to a five week early baby. ? 

This year we want to try to get running started. BuT I'm still not sure how to organize it for her. And there doesn't seem to be anything local. Dance was too expensive to continue and same with soccer. 

We did soccer for the oldest. Took a year off and started violin.  Yoga for the two oldest. Took a year off. Ballet for the two oldest. Now, we just quit violin because it is too far to drive weekly and ballet because of finances. I'd like to get them more active but more cheaply...