cbagasao@gmail.com

Are there any other roadschoolers out there?

11 posts in this topic

We are a family of ten living in a travel trailer touring the country for our Christian music mission. This is our sixth year. I'm curious if there are any other roadschoolers in this forum.

That sounds amazing and is a dream of mine, but it probably won't come to pass any time soon (or even when my kids are still in school, haha). 

TEN! that's amazing and inspiring. I'd love to hear more! do you sometimes get sick of it (or each other)? do you have a home that you go back to occasionally? what do you do with all the "stuff"? 

1 person likes this

Wow! Ten people full-timing, that's awesome! We thought about temporarily full timing but with 5 kids we couldn't figure out a way that would actually save money (one of our main goals) AND be a safe way to travel for everyone with a big enough trailer. Sounds awesome though!

This is our dream to do...we do travel a lot in our RV and always bring school with us.  We are waiting for our daughter to finish her last homeschool year before we look at full time.  She plays softball all year, so the longest we have been away at one time is 9 weeks. :)

We have a friend with 6 kids who live, homeschool in an RV. They love it.

I wouldn't mind the traveling part but, living in it full time would overwhelm me.

On 9/7/2017 at 8:39 PM, mphavens214@att.net said:

I would feel overwhelmed living 24/7 in a small confined space.  Blessings to those that can do it!

There are times when it is overwhelming, but our backyard is always changing, so there's always something to explore. Also, we have learned to do without so many things and so many amenities in life, like space, that our attitudes and perspective have changed dramatically, making this lifestyle our "norm." We expect less from life in the form of space and home and learn to enjoy things like experiences and people...although when we do get a little extra space from time to time, we sure enjoy it! Seriously, though, going from a rural 3000 square foot house to a 250 square foot travel trailer was an adjustment. 

On 9/5/2017 at 1:07 PM, manicmom75@gmail.com said:

This is our dream to do...we do travel a lot in our RV and always bring school with us.  We are waiting for our daughter to finish her last homeschool year before we look at full time.  She plays softball all year, so the longest we have been away at one time is 9 weeks. :)

We know a lot of full-timers who live in one general location during a season (like softball season, for example), and then full-time elsewhere the rest of the year, then cycle back for the next season. Just a thought.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:46 AM, roseacademyacademics said:

That sounds amazing and is a dream of mine, but it probably won't come to pass any time soon (or even when my kids are still in school, haha). 

TEN! that's amazing and inspiring. I'd love to hear more! do you sometimes get sick of it (or each other)? do you have a home that you go back to occasionally? what do you do with all the "stuff"? 

Wow, thank you for your encouragement! There are DEFINITELY ups and downs! It certainly isn't the glamorous life people envision when they think about full-timing. Of course, we usually stay in the parking lots of the churches where we are singing. That's fun at times, but definitely not glamorous! 

Yes, we sometimes get sick of it, I suppose, but we sometimes got sick of our previous home life, too. It's not really getting sick of it so much as it is getting burned out or overwhelmed. I think that's more the music mission aspect and the finances associated with being "self-employed" music missionaries that are the overwhelming aspect. Also, the driving gets old for the kids. On October we have nearly 20 events, which is a lot of driving. It's all in one state, but 2-3 hours of driving for each one gets old. Still, it's time when they're strapped in tightly for school--ha!

We do NOT have a home. We do stop at my mom's farm quite often, but with the exception of one child, most of us still stay in the trailer. It's home--our beds are our beds, we can find our toothbrushes, the bathroom is close by, etc.

We gave away or sold about half our stuff, but some things, like our piano, beds, and a couch and table that fit our whole family, are in storage. Maybe we'll see you on the road sometime!

8 hours ago, cbagasao@gmail.com said:

There are times when it is overwhelming, but our backyard is always changing, so there's always something to explore. Also, we have learned to do without so many things and so many amenities in life, like space, that our attitudes and perspective have changed dramatically, making this lifestyle our "norm." We expect less from life in the form of space and home and learn to enjoy things like experiences and people...although when we do get a little extra space from time to time, we sure enjoy it! Seriously, though, going from a rural 3000 square foot house to a 250 square foot travel trailer was an adjustment. 

WOW what an amazing experience you are giving your kids!!!  This would be a teachable life lesson for me, as I recharge by being alone.....do you ever have alone time?  What career does our husband have to make this work?  Mine is a pastor so roadschooling is only for weeks on end........for now anyways! :)

1 person likes this