mommybugg238@gmail.com

UNschoolers?

56 posts in this topic

Thank you, Sabrina! We did have a restful day for Christmas, I have had to take a real rest, though, since we were going non-stop since last friday! I'm just now starting to feel rested again! How was your Christmas, Sabrina and Jennifer? I hope you enjoyed a wonderful time with family and friends!?

Our Christmas was good. We went to my moms a couple days before and had a nice time there then we had a quiet Christmas with just our kids. Now my in-laws are here for a couple days. 

1 person likes this

I'm so glad for you, Sabrina and your family! It's such a wonderful time when Christmas day is quiet and peaceful, we had one this year, thankfully, too! ? We hope you have a great time with your extended family too and continue to enjoy a very restful season! The Lord bless your home and family!

I feel like this week has ended up being a recovery week after guests last week! Goodness, I'm looking forward to getting back to some semblance of normalcy. I'm thankful family will come visit us but it sure does throw things off. I'm going to try to start listening to these LifeSchool audios from the conference and I've been re-reading my Phases of Learning book from TJed and spending some time in that FB group getting ideas. I'm making a list of routines and habits to work on and just starting there. Providing a rich environment for learning will go much easier if I have the kids on a routine and have build in good work habits for chores and established a better level of obedience. I'm also working on getting the baby to sleep better and next week plan to potty train the toddler. Whew....there is always something to work on!

1 person likes this

Hello Sabrina, I was just thinking of how it is wonderful to see family, but you're right, about the need for things to return to normal. We have had some ups and downs to the season, one being, one great grandmother was hospitalized and another great grandmother we almost lost after choking on food and almost losing consciousness from a Christmas dinner we were having together! But by the Grace of God, they are both okay and home, with family again! It is good to be together, and situations like these have helped my family to realize how precious (and how precious little time we have with one another) life is, so I hope on top of building a new year set of goals for my family, it is important for us all to make sure it will revolve around those we only have so much time left with. We hope this year, like you said, our routines and habits will reflect a deeper level of obedience to the Lord's calling on our family, to what He has planned for our family and wants to establish in us and the kids. If I can be real, I was just thinking, about one of my husband's and my favorite site, Elijahlist.com, which shares what those brothers and sisters who have been given the powerful tool of prophecy, are sharing with the body of Christ. One that I read was about what the Lord is doing in each country on the face of the earth and it was beautiful to see how the Lord has something different and unique for each country, as He is calling them to grow and mature as the day approaches for His return! I was encouraged, but sobered, to the fact, that some things in my life were lacking. I feel that our Heavenly Father is calling this family, He is has given me, to prepare ourselves for a new season, one where, as a family, we are going through a season of maturity, to be used in the Body, together, in a new way. I know that He is breaking old thought patterns on my thinking, because they have kept me bound, unable to fully grasp what He has longed for me to understand and then share with my children. You are going through a new season, so I pray for you as well, to feel His peace as you prepare to approach areas of routine and habits that you feel He is working with you on, for the family, as a whole. Enjoy the quiet times that you have with Him, because I know, He is going to fill you with His revelation, giving you great ideas and solutions to goals that seemed impossible or too much for you to set, so that you have a level of certainty that you need, to grow strong in this beautiful season of your families calling, together. I pray that the eyes of your heart are enlightened with understanding, and to the hope of His calling on you and your family, as a whole and that no weapon, formed against you, by the enemy, shall prosper, so that Jesus can continue to bring to life the hopes and dreams He has placed in you and your husband, for your family! Be of good cheer sister, the Lord is working all things for your good and this season is just the beginning of a new level of obedience, but also of passion for the calling and giftings on you and your husband and children! Let me know what you think of the Lifeschooling audios, the one with the Benham brothers, who were on HGTV, have a fire, a passion that is amazing for the Lord and homeschool their families, plus some of the other speakers were so good! It left me encouraged! I am going to also check out TJed, you've got my interest peaked! Thank you for sharing that information too! Have a great night, talk with you soon, Ang Cobb

Ang, that was all beautiful! Thanks for your encouragement!! I  haven't had a chance to start the audios yet but hopefully soon! I will let you know!

1 person likes this

Hello Sabrina, how is everything!? Jennifer, how are you doing!? We kind of got a little bug this week. ?Thankfully, my husband has the week off, so we all get to enjoy some inside time together. We finally have warmer weather, with lots of snow here, so we're finally getting some time outside! And praying this bug passes fast too! ? I hope you are all well! Ang Cobb

Arrrgh internet burped and lost my post!! We are doing, trying to figure out our new normal for the year now that we dropped coop and I'm working on wrapping my head around what my plans for the kids are but overall feeling good about the changes we are making. I got the book Christian Unschooler and Jennifer and I are going to read through it together-its good to have accountability since I have a huge "to read" pile and am running a book club and Bible reading group on Facebook right now! Feeling a tad swamped. 

15 hours ago, Sabrina S said:

Arrrgh internet burped and lost my post!! We are doing, trying to figure out our new normal for the year now that we dropped coop and I'm working on wrapping my head around what my plans for the kids are but overall feeling good about the changes we are making. I got the book Christian Unschooler and Jennifer and I are going to read through it together-its good to have accountability since I have a huge "to read" pile and am running a book club and Bible reading group on Facebook right now! Feeling a tad swamped. 

The changes are going good! I'm glad to hear that everything is good! What is making you feeling swamped? I'm not on Facebook anymore, but that is great that you are doing a book club! Lol, I have a pile of books next to my bed, that I've either started or have planned on reading for a long time! I hope to read them again (or start reading) so that I can finally learn whatever it was I wanted to get out of the books in the first place!? 

Lol, It just seems like my to-do list is long but I try to look at it and decide what really NEEDS to be done, what can wait, and what doesn't really matter at all and keep it in perspective. It seems like over the last week I've either felt like things are going great and I have everything scheduled and a plan to "get it all done" or like I'm totally swamped and will never get out from under my to-do list. This is relatively normal for me. I have lots of ideas I'd like to do, lots of things I want to learn and lots of things I want to do with my blog but very limited time as a mom of 5 so prioritizing is critical!! 

1 person likes this

Sabrina, I give you props! I cannot seem to ever start a to-do list and follow through. I would usually lose the list before the second day of using it! ?? But I am trying to learn to take some down time to get some clarity from the Lord for the areas I struggle with. ? I am really hoping for some fresh manna from heaven (a Word for this season from Father God), cause this first half of January has hit me hard in my spirit, I have some things to grow in, for sure! I hope you are finding His rest in this new season with your family! And that your getting everything done on your checklist that you need, but also want to accomplish! ?

Thanks! Rest is probably what I need, I've been driving myself pretty hard!! It is a busy season but also cold and gloomy which seems to make me move slower and be less motivated. I'll survive it somehow!! I alternate between feeling like I'm doing the right thing by loosening the reigns on my kids a bit and being scared I'm not "doing enough" with them..... I guess that is just the ever-present battle for homeschool moms!

1 person likes this

Sabrina, I completely understand your frustration! I have alternated between those feelings many times, but if you feel like you need a rest, take it, that will help you! I got sick this week and the only thing I could do was lay in bed and try to rest, but it gave the Lord time to discuss some things with me that I really needed to hear Him say. He gets our attention one way or another, I kind of had to be made because I had been on the go since December with things and missed some valuable moments with Him. Enjoy His rest, peace and love for you! ?

1 person likes this

We just started really digging into TJ ED having my oldest read (slowly) the TJ for Teen book 

Figuring maybe as we read we can share thoughts together....get some relationship building in there too 

Finding this is very soothing when I can let go ... I am such a control freak. 

But reading and learning - so glad to have both of you here. We can share and learn together :-) 

2 people like this

Getting over the flu here - its a great way to deschool - when everyone is sick and none of us feel like doing anything. 

So my boys are playing some video games, they are watching some videos on the Bible; my girls are playing, 

Its nice. And we got one of the Classical Conversation apps for my oldest son to start using. Just have to learn how

best to use this for him. He likes it and especially the tunes that go along with stuff. He is always about memory

stuff (and I cannot remember my birthday some days! haha) 

Anyway things are going well - settling in after the holidays and me, just trying to minimize things so more is possible

and we can explore and do whatever we want without feeling guilty that the house is a mess or....whatever. :-D

Hope ou ladies are doing well too! We have the flu going around here.YAY! :P 

Pray for us all please! 

2 people like this

Jennifer, we will definitely be praying, we got it here too, it's not as bad as last week, but the cough is still here! We prayed this morning because I had enough of this, so we spoke with the authority Jesus gives us over everything in His Name (sickness, too!) and are believing for all the germs to die! Disappear, whatever they have to do because of Christ's sake! We pray your home is covered and everyone is healthy, quickly, too! In Jesus Name! ? Deschooling is fun, my kids took forever before they ever asked if we were going to do school again! Lol! I think they were tired of it so much, that they were afraid to ask if I was going to make them get back to the books! This time of year, last year, was when I actually read about unschooling and then began to deschool. I'm glad you are still having fun while being under the weather, but that the Lord is restoring your home to peace and rest, the way you had dreamed it would be when you first started this fun homeschool journey. I'm really glad you and Sabrina have found something that resonates with your spirit, bringing a level of peace that you both were asking the Lord for. I would've never said a word if the Lord had not told me to write back to you, so I'm thankful it was useful! It has helped me to know a peace I had longed for, and now the Lord allowed me to have some sisters in Him to share it with! Thank you for encouraging me as well! The Lord is so good to us! ?

1 person likes this

Well I'm certainly glad you responded Ang!! It is good to know someone else was drawn the same direction I'm being drawn and have someone to run some ideas by. Right now I'm trying to do a devotional, some CC memory work and reading out loud to my kids most days. I have my oldest working on math but not doing much else and have really reduced what I'm expecting of her from that (maybe I'm not ready to totally let go lol). Today they all watched some magic schoolbus. I'm feeling a bit behind on a few things so I may let them watch some sort of documentary tomorrow too, we will see. Still trying to figure out what this looks like....my kids are the type who do need some structure and it is too cold for outside play so I have to plan a bit.

1 person likes this

I'm so glad Sabrina! Lol! I like some structure, but it depends on the day and what is pressing (house, chores, meals, grocery, etc.), so it can look very different on different days, but I agree, structure helps us! And we are definitely still learning what this life(schooling) looks like for us. Some days are more one way, with whatever they each want to learn (and is in my capabilities to offer them) and other days are based on what needs to be done for the house to run smoothly and be respectful and responsible with what has been given to us (possessions, rooms, bodies, etc.). I still have a chart that is sort of a guide for us (to help the house run smoothly), even though there is freedom within the schedule to veer from it, I like to reign things in if we get too far off course. Today was an interesting day, it ended up being a camping trip in the house, all day. The kids set up Elishas tent in the front room, and in my bedroom, we made for the youngest, a small tent out of a sheet and clothesline rope. Then everyone packed their back packs for a wilderness survival camping experience and loaded up my tiny front room and bedroom with all their camping gear. Faith made everyone breakfast and I put on the computer one of those dvds, with the crackling fire in the fireplace, to pretend we were out in the woods, with a nice campfire! ? We played games, did mad libs, and tried to do things for most of the day that had to do with being out on a camping trip. Later when Phil came home, we went for a ride, to star gaze and pick up some coconut almond cocoa spread and Annie's organic bunny grahams for our "smores"! It was definitely a different kind of day today, but it ended up being a lot of fun! Not normal in the least bit, but it was what everyone wanted to do and we had no where to be today, so I figured it could be a fun way to lifeschool today! A rest day. We will have a mess to pick up tomorrow though! Grocery day tomorrow, so that time is definitely allotted to figuring out how much we have, what we need, and how to spend it wisely. Faith and Elisha help with that part, but it is very important that they understand they are learning this applied math because it is a life skill they need, now and as they get older. I hope the Lord gives me some understanding into what  the kids may benefit from, for the giftings I know they display, and how to better serve them in reaching their potential.

Sabrina, I hope you are resting, in the Lord, as well, so you are able to stay in His peace and joy, over you! You have shared that you have many ideas, can you share some of them? I have many, but knowing when and how to implement them into my families life! I'm sure you are looking to do the same, figuring out when to and how to implement your goals, the right timing and all! I pray we get some direction, some needed wisdom from the Lord! Does your oldest daughter like the new way you are schooling? How about your younger children? Talk with you soon! Ang

5 hours ago, cbagasao@gmail.com said:

This has been a VERY interesting thread. Thank you so much!

Lol! I hope it's encouraging, at least! ? Ang Cobb

Ladies, I just messaged Danielle Papageorgiou and she wrote back a nice reply. She also sent me to her favorite homeschooling blog site, homeschoolingwisdom.com, where I have been enjoying a great amount of the author's posts. It has helped me to see where she was able to come up with the definition she felt best describes "Lifeschooling". I would definitely recommend it, if you want to have some good food for thought. I just read his post, "The Day Homeschooling Dies", which is excellent! I also talked to Danielle about both you, Sabrina and Jennifer, with your children who are in middle and upper grades, and she said exactly what I had felt. She said, it is something you will have to stay in constant prayer about, seeking the Lord as to what path your child(ren) want to take, what desires, callings, and giftings are a part of them, and how to go about obtaining all that they will need, to fulfill their God-given destinies. The only thing she has her son do, is record everything he does, so they have the information for creating a transcript. I can give you what she wrote, if you would like, just let me know, I'll send it to you both!? Talk with you soon! Ang Cobb ?

That would be great Ang! Thanks for contacting her how cool!! I will definitely check out that blog!

As for ideas, I don't mean ideas for school exactly- although those come sometimes too, more than I can actually implement!- but just ideas things I want to learn, do, try. I have business ideas that I'd like to do, blog ideas, ministry ideas etc. My husband jokes that my brain never shuts off. It's true. So it is hard to know what ideas to actually go for and which ones to let pass and then I feel overwhelmed with all of them. They come to be even if I don't try or want them to. Anyway.....that is me and often results in a perpetual state of overwhelm because even though everything sounds fun nothing is fun if it makes you too busy. Part of what I'm working on right now is getting myself out of the cycle of trying to do too much and being stressed. This month that has not gone well but I'm learning! 

1 person likes this

How is everyone doing? Not much activity on this thread lately! I have bought the Christian Unschoolers book but haven't read much of it and I bought the 2017 Lifeschool conference recordings but have only listened to a couple of those. I have been so busy, not much time for reading or listening. 

1 person likes this

Hiya! I just happened to sit down. In the midst of snowstorms and getting a rest while my kids enjoy some of those melty beads. They are making swords and bows and arrows with them. Very creative. 
I saw Christian Unschooling how has a podcast. I was excited. I have the book. Started reading; sent a copy to a dear friend in Texas who is starting to homeschool her daughter, and expecting another little one very soon. 

I haven't gotten to those Lifeschool conference lectures .. my husband said I need to get an mp3 player so I can listen while I am all over the place. I think he is right because I haven't had a chance to sit for more than a few. I know I need to though - refreshing for momma! 

PRAYING ALL OF YOU ARE WELL! 

And warm - we have some snow finally - hoping for more! HAHA

1 person likes this

Ohh I'm going to go look up that podcast!! I am hoping to watch a bit more of the lifeschool conference (they are videos so don't work on MP3 player....I know because I tried lol) this weekend while working on crochet projects LOL. Gotta multitask! I have only read the first chapter of Christian Unschooling but need to get back to it! Maybe we can discuss it here or start a new thread for a book discussion and read it together. I know Jennifer has it too. 

OK off to find the podcast. My kids are watching olympic replays! That is what I'm planning to have them do the whole time it is on!! LOL

1 person likes this