mommybugg238@gmail.com

UNschoolers?

56 posts in this topic

Hi ladies! I haven't been on here in a bit, have had some ups and downs, struggles and, thankfully, starting to see the Lord give me victory in areas I thought were a bit more "finished" than I expected! So, I'm excited about the Christian Unschooling podcast too! I need to check that out, as well, but the book I had, I loaned it to a friend and am still waiting for it to return. We are good here, still have sniffles and coughs popping up a little, but we are on the mend, thank you Lord for ways to strengthen our immune systems! ? Lifeschooling or in a way, just living life the way the Lord is leading it daily! ? I hope that you are enjoying your crocheting, Sabrina, and the Lifeschooling audios/videos! And Jennifer, I love the idea with the melty beads! We need to get some new crafts for fun! If you read the book together on here or another post, I would still love to join, even without my book, it really encouraged me when I read it! ?

Talk with you ladies soon! Blessings in the Lord Jesus and for healthy bodies! And more snow, we love snow, though, I think the kids are tired of  shoveling! ? Ang Cobb

1 person likes this

How is everyone?? Well I'm life-schooling whether I want to or not lol. Things have been crazy! My work with Operation Christmas Child has been awesome and amazing but VERY busy the last couple months (yep OCC volunteers are BUSY in January and February!!!). We brought on 5 new volunteers and I'm working on another application now so that is awesome but also keeping me busy! Then there is the exchange student program I work. I have one student placed, 2 on hold waiting for the school's approval, one family choosing a student and another interested family called this morning so that is busy (but even though we aren't hosting my kids will get a chance to interact with students from all these other places, what an amazing learning opportunity!). We got 8 new chickens and 3 new rabbits in the last couple weeks. One rabbit is an angora so will be used for fiber the others are meat rabbits. We have been doing spring cleaning and getting the garden ready and building rabbit tractors. Lots of learning opportunities. And we are taking advantage of any nice weather we get to be outside. So hopefully all of these learning opportunities are "enough" right now. 

Unfortunately, I've also had kids sick on and off the last couple weeks. I really wish whatever it is would just run its course and go away. My middle son just got over it but now it seems to be hitting the baby hard. Today the weather is supposed to be nice so I'm sending them all outside for fresh air after lunch!! 

1 person likes this

Hello Sabrina! I love it! You sound busy, but happy and enjoying lots of wonderful parts of life on the farm, beginning of spring and doing what the Lord put in your heart! It sounds awesome to me (I'm a bit jealous), I want a farm so bad, I just keep waiting till the Lord tells my husband finally that it's okay to move in that direction! ?

Sadly, we just lost Phil's grandma, but she is happy to be home with Jesus!!! He just did the memorial service this afternoon and so it's been a bit of a hard time! Otherwise the kids are doing well, some coughing has come back with our two youngest, but just keeping up with some herbal teas and tonics, and diffusing thieves essential oil has kept it from turning into anything, just a cough that has to go!

For myself, Life-schooling has been an answer to prayer!  I really got hit hard with a battle (I was not expecting the pain and struggle I've had) these past two months, the Lord said I was going to be fighting a battle through a dream I had and confirmed by a prophetic word given to me, but I was not ready for the toll it was going to take on me. It has been difficult and so being able to have a schedule open for alternative ways of learning and growing for the kids has helped me to continue to be a homeschooling mom while the Lord took me through this difficult time. I'm starting to see the healing, victory and strength come back to my soul, my spirit is revived and a new courage to face what the Lord has next for our family! I hope I will be able to share it with you someday.

I still have to get a hold of Danielle Papageorgiou because I asked her about some things and will pass them on if you want (plus I just remembered that I have to send you what she said about upper grades transcripts and such). I love it that in our state right now, one of my friends (she is the regional director for LEAH), just spoke with us about the laws they want to change in our state (such as, assessments and quarterly reports, since we are the most regulated!) ? They have gone to Albany, to fight and there are senators who are willing to back us! Yay! It would be awesome if we had less regulations put on us! 

I pray the Lord continues to bless you through the avenues He has given you to touch others and in the process develop your God given talents, gifts and abilities, in you and the kids... to really see what the Lord may have put in their hearts, too! It sounds so exciting what you are doing, especially with the foreign exchange students you are helping!

Blessings and prayers for healthy little ones again! ? Ang Cobb

Oh Ang, I'm sorry about the loss oh Phil's grandma! Praying for peace for all of you and especially for you as you come out of a season of battling. I hope your kids stay healthy, we have been doing basically the same stuff to regain health in our home. 

For what it is worth, I've wanted a "farm" and animals since I can remember. Our 18th wedding anniversary is coming up in July, my husband has been active duty army for the last 17 years (he was in the reserves when we met and the first year of our marriage). So we have never had this opportunity. When we moved to Kansas just over a year ago we bought an acre in hopes of retiring and staying here in 3 years when he retires! It has been a long dream and I am taking things MUCH slower than I would like because I don't want to get overwhelmed and fail but I'm so thrilled to finally have this opportunity. Most days I look around and can't believe it is all real!!! 

Unfortunately, I have to call the interested host family back this morning and tell them all the spots in their school are full. Hopefully, they can host in 2019. I don't like giving people bad news :(. 

Well we have family here this week so I better go get ready for the day and whatever they want to do just thought I would pop in while some of the kids are still asleep (still adjusting to time change!). 

1 person likes this

I just wanted to hop in here and tell you all that this is exactly the kind of encouragement more families need - someone who is walking a similar path, but admits to not having all the answers :)

We have not been unschoolers, we have always used a Charlotte Mason style of approach, but the one thing I have always liked about it was when I found other families who just "got it" that we were going to be different from he rest of the crowd. We never set out to do school at home, we wanted to focus on a life-long love of learning and an education that set out girls on the right path for adulthood and real life.

Good for you all for listening to the call God has given you to be willing to be different!

2 people like this

On 10/17/2017 at 5:25 PM, Sabrina S said:

Oh I should throw in my kids don't do well with too much unstructured time. Lack of structure leads to problems around here. 

hear hear on that one!

1 person likes this