Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roseacademyacademics

What's your hobby?

21 posts in this topic

I know as moms we don't have a ton of time. 

I sew. I love to sew. And blog about what I make. I even started developing PDF sewing patterns.

However I had to take a break from sewing and pattern development. It is a very LONG road, with lots of competition and I can't work as fast and as much as I'd like, well, not without ignoring my family and home responsibiliteis.

So I took a break in order to build my home based business. I'll return to sewing/blogging/pattern making soon though. I still pull the machine out to do simple mending projects and such. I miss it. BUT I realized for the good of my family and homeschooling and home based business building that I didn't want the rest of my hours to be behind a sewing machine or computer.

What do you do?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to knit. I used to sew (primarily self taught), but I never felt like I was very good at it. I made a few outfits and dozens of quilts that were passable, but almost nothing amazing. I also used to crochet, but that was always a like, not a love. Then in January 2016 (after I announced to my family that I was giving up sewing), my husband suggested I learn to knit. We poked around online and discovered that the yarn store that I frequented had "learn to knit" classes once a month (they also have "learn to crochet," but I already knew how to do that). The next one was taking place on Valentine's Day, so we decided I'd attend. (We had a newborn at the time, so going out wasn't an option.) I haven't put down my needles since :)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crystal Starr said:

Crochet!  I crochet like a mad woman.  It keeps me sane.  

I wish I was good at crochet. It would be portable. I could take it with me. I once watched a Craftsy class about crochet. It was fascinating, and I followed along enough to learn how to make the stitches and a somewhat wonky granny square, but that was it. My fingers just don't work fast enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, wmr1601@icloud.com said:

I love to knit. I used to sew (primarily self taught), but I never felt like I was very good at it. I made a few outfits and dozens of quilts that were passable, but almost nothing amazing. I also used to crochet, but that was always a like, not a love. Then in January 2016 (after I announced to my family that I was giving up sewing), my husband suggested I learn to knit. We poked around online and discovered that the yarn store that I frequented had "learn to knit" classes once a month (they also have "learn to crochet," but I already knew how to do that). The next one was taking place on Valentine's Day, so we decided I'd attend. (We had a newborn at the time, so going out wasn't an option.) I haven't put down my needles since :)

I think I prefer crochet over knitting, but knitting has always confused me. Our pastor's wife knits beautiful things. I'd love to be able to take something with me when we go to church. I need to keep my hands busy as I listen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do a variety of crafts. I love to crochet and sew. I paint a bit. I have done some jewelry making..... I can't stick with one thing so I do a whole bunch of things when I have time. Which lately is never. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned how to crochet a few years ago and did 2 blankets. I just don't remember how to start a blanket again. It was relaxing to me. I don't have a lot of time.

I read a lot. I enjoy gardening.  I haven't started one in our new house. Starting one now seems like a lot of work after having a well established one. I can't handle the heat anymore!

I love photography!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to paint. I paint in Acrylic and Water Colors. Mostly Acrylic. I love to scrapbook too. I haven't done that in years and am so behind. My stuff is scattered through the house. Lately we have really been into painting rocks that we leave out for others to find. They can keep them or they can hide them. In fact tonight after we finish homework and dinner I had promised my daughter we could paint rocks so we can hide ours. It has been nice going walking every day looking for them and hiding them as well. I also love other crafts. I don't really know how to sew, knit, or crochet. However, I would love to learn! I know my daughter wants to learn. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite hobby is reading. I love a good story! Historical fiction is my favorite genre, but I read widely from fiction and nonfiction.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 9:55 AM, roseacademyacademics said:

I think I prefer crochet over knitting, but knitting has always confused me. Our pastor's wife knits beautiful things. I'd love to be able to take something with me when we go to church. I need to keep my hands busy as I listen!

I agree that it’s easier to focus when your hands are busy! My mind doesn’t wander as much if I’m doing something productive with my hands. Although these days, I end up on ge church nursery every week because my son is the only baby/toddler who uses it. Doesn’t seem fair to have someone else in there for my own kid. But they pipe the sermon in on a speaker, so it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to knit, too! I taught myself on YouTube some years ago. I had tried to teach myself from a book once before, but I could never quite get it. Then I had the idea to learn from YouTube (because we all learn everything from YouTube, right?!). My favorite thing to knit is lace shawls, but I just recently started using normal (worsted) weight yarn on normal sized needles. My whole family is amazed at how fast I can complete something now xD I used to love cross stitching, but I needed something more portable when my kids were younger (and those tiny needles unnerved me with toddlers!). I also love Old Time Radio, which was one reason I was so excited about this site!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mphavens214@att.net said:

I enjoy writing and being in nature biking!  Yet with a 7mo old that doesn't happen much these days :(

I hear ya! My 8 mo old is not a fan of my hobbies lol. Luckily I also like reading and have a bit more time to do that while nursing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 4:33 PM, Sabrina S said:

I hear ya! My 8 mo old is not a fan of my hobbies lol. Luckily I also like reading and have a bit more time to do that while nursing! 

Its good to know another momma is in the same boat!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scrapbook, read and work jigsaw puzzles a great deal.   Once the kids hit 10-12 it gets a bit easier to have our own interests again, so hang in their momma's of littles!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2017 at 3:54 PM, tjohuffman@verizon.net said:

I scrapbook, read and work jigsaw puzzles a great deal.   Once the kids hit 10-12 it gets a bit easier to have our own interests again, so hang in their momma's of littles!!

Puzzles are fantastic!  Discovered that wonderful hobby during a trip to the outerbands this past summer :)  LOVE THEM

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 10:53 AM, mphavens214@att.net said:

Puzzles are fantastic!  Discovered that wonderful hobby during a trip to the outerbands this past summer :)  LOVE THEM

We currently have 3 different, 1000 piece puzzles set up in different areas of the house.  Addicted much?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tjohuffman@verizon.net said:

We currently have 3 different, 1000 piece puzzles set up in different areas of the house.  Addicted much?

Love it!    :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tjohuffman@verizon.net said:

We currently have 3 different, 1000 piece puzzles set up in different areas of the house.  Addicted much?

What I found interesting was all my kids ages 10, 7,5 LOVED working on them with me.....what a great family moment together!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0