Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carolemmert14@gmail.com

Favorite Field trip?

11 posts in this topic

Tell us about your favorite places to visit on a field trip: i.e. historic sites, museums, etc. Please also mention which state it is in!

1 person likes this

We love field trips!!!! We visited the Police museum in Columbia SC. That was really a neat thing. It was small, but they loved it. Hershey, PA was also amazing! We did the park, but honestly they loved the ride in the store that showed how the chocolate was made the best I think! We also toured a smaller chocolate factory in OH (I don't remember the name!) and it was even better because we saw actual candy being created.  I have a whole wish list of field trips to take with them and hope we can cross some more off our list this year.

1 person likes this

I don't know if I have a favorite field trip with the kids. Not sure the kids have a favorite either. They love going on field trips. Today we were suppose to go to the chocolate place but we couldn't go. Although we did pay for the chocolate and I will get it Saturday. I think my daughters favorite was Pine Crest Historical Village when Buffalo Bill Show came. She loved Annie Oakley. 

1 person likes this

Mine are all in upstate NY or New England.  Nobody who doesn't live here, comes here.  :)

The Cog Railway ride to the peak of Mt. Washington and weather observatory.

Howe Caverns (or the lesser known Secret Caves), Cobleskill, NY

Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY

Almanzo Wilder's boyhood farm (from Farmer Boy), Malone, NY

Steamtown, Scranton, PA

and Animal Adventure Park (home of April the Giraffe), Harpursville, NY

Plimoth Plantation and The Mayflower II, Massachusetts

Then we do the usual apple orchards, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, tiny local museums...

1 person likes this

We live in Oklahoma. Just last week I took my boys to a the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton. Every year they have Fall Encampment which is a model of a fur trading post from the early 1800s. People dress up in period clothing and tell the kids (and adults) what went on at the post. They learned a little bit of sign language for trading, saw what kinds of things were traded, what guns were used at the time, how people started fires and tanned hides, and how they cooked at the post. Lots of fun! Afterwards we went through the actual museum which has a lot of stuff related to Oklahoma (weather, animals, bugs, people).

We also really like the Science Museum in Oklahoma City.

We are in Central Texas -

Our favorites are historical places or gardens.

Fort Fisher (where Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped from; she is the white mother of Quannah Parker, one of the last free Indian chiefs) is not far.

We went to Washington-On-The-Brazos not too long ago; this is where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. 

Our local Mayborn Museum has a historic village and we love to go to activities there.

The Waco Mammoth Site is down the road and it is neat.

I grew up in New Mexico and we try to take the girls lots of place there.

White Sands

Carlsbad Caverns

Bandalier 

Lincoln (home of Billy the Kid)

Capitan (home of Smokey Bear)

I'll stop there for now. :)

On 10/20/2017 at 0:58 PM, Toni said:

We live in Oklahoma. Just last week I took my boys to a the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton. Every year they have Fall Encampment which is a model of a fur trading post from the early 1800s. People dress up in period clothing and tell the kids (and adults) what went on at the post. They learned a little bit of sign language for trading, saw what kinds of things were traded, what guns were used at the time, how people started fires and tanned hides, and how they cooked at the post. Lots of fun! Afterwards we went through the actual museum which has a lot of stuff related to Oklahoma (weather, animals, bugs, people).

We also really like the Science Museum in Oklahoma City.

Have you ever been to Wool-a-Roc near Bartlesville? We went there a few years ago when we were visiting friends. It was really cool.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:52 PM, Zekesmom10 said:

Mine are all in upstate NY or New England.  Nobody who doesn't live here, comes here.  :)

The Cog Railway ride to the peak of Mt. Washington and weather observatory.

Howe Caverns (or the lesser known Secret Caves), Cobleskill, NY

Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY

Almanzo Wilder's boyhood farm (from Farmer Boy), Malone, NY

Steamtown, Scranton, PA

and Animal Adventure Park (home of April the Giraffe), Harpursville, NY

Plimoth Plantation and The Mayflower II, Massachusetts

Then we do the usual apple orchards, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, tiny local museums...

You are making me wish we had the budget to come visit! Our girls have never been farther east or  north than the Pittsburgh area.

1 person likes this

Cave tours at Carter Caves (KY)

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

Children's Museum of Atlanta

Fernbank Museum of Natural History (GA)

The Wilds - animal conservation center, driving tours (OH) 

Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site (Atlanta - more appreciated by older kids/teens and adults) 

The kids love any aquarium or zoo, though some are definitely better than others from an adult perspective, LOL!  

Oh, and I can't forget, my kids have LOVED our trips to LEGOLAND!  We've been to the indoor one in Atlanta, and the theme park in Florida.  

My kids often totally surprise me. One of their favorite places EVER is the Art Museum. The first time we went I thought for sure they would be so bored and I was a tad scared they might touch the art. I was blown away when they stared at the paintings, asked questions, and picked their favorite pieces. They loved it so much that their grandparents bought a yearly family pass as a Christmas gift one year. 

It helps that our local Art Museum does a scavenger hunt throughout the museum. Always fun!