Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphavens214@att.net

Blogger question?

28 posts in this topic

HI There,

If your a blogger what companies do you review for?  Are any of them paid in actually money or just product?  Still trying to figure out this blogger world.....Thanks for any advice, tips or help!

1 person likes this

I review for lots of company's, but have never made a cent.   I'm always compensated in free product.   I hope someone has a more helpful answer, because I'd like to know too!

2 people like this

I have been reviewing for a few years, and only get compensated by receiving the product. The only way I earn any kind of money is by using affiliate links.

2 people like this

Only product for me.

I've been asked a few times about doing a paid post. When I asked other bloggers what they charge and give the vendors an answer back I never hear back from them. It must be to high. Would love to see what other say also.

2 people like this

I usually just receive product, but some will offer product and compensation if I promote them on social media and/or run a sidebar ad. I think I only charged $25-$40 for my sidebar ads for a blog that had about 29,000 monthly page views. I don't know what the going rate is. I don't charge at all right now--too much work for me. 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, cbagasao@gmail.com said:

I usually just receive product, but some will offer product and compensation if I promote them on social media and/or run a sidebar ad. I think I only charged $25-$40 for my sidebar ads for a blog that had about 29,000 monthly page views. I don't know what the going rate is. I don't charge at all right now--too much work for me. 

29k a month.....life goals! LOL

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, mphavens214@att.net said:

HI There,

If your a blogger what companies do you review for?  Are any of them paid in actually money or just product?  Still trying to figure out this blogger world.....Thanks for any advice, tips or help!

Oh maybe I should answer the question. I review for the Crew and Tyndale and have done a book launch or two....none of that paid other than the free product. Sometimes the product is worth $10 sometimes it is worth $300 so the "compensation" for the work varies. Also some let you use an affiliate link so you could potentially add to the earnings and others don't. I am interested in paid reviews and posts but my following really isn't large enough yet. I have been asked to consider being a paid contributor to another blog which I'd love to do so we will see how that pans out in a couple months. 

1 person likes this

I too get paid in free product. Enough to keep me in it, but would love it if there were a real pay check from time to time! Hah. 

1 person likes this

I review for the Homeschool Review Crew and occasionally for Flyby, and only get products in exchange. I don’t have enough traffic to get more than that. I feel like getting money too moves it from “review” to “sponsored post,” and I don’t like sponsored posts. I ALWAYS skip them in my Bloglovin feed. Even when there’s some personal experience discussed, sponsored posts feel like ads, while reviews are truly informative. It’s a fine line, but one I don’t intend to cross simply because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

2 people like this

I have done reviews for The Review Crew this year and I've been on several book launch teams. The only compensation is the product. I have also written for a blog/eZine site that paid me per article, but the owner had to shut down the paid membership so that income stream dried up. From what I've read about, making money on a blog comes primarily from ads and affiliate sales. My opinion is that for smaller blogs, creating a digital product would be the best way to make money. Developing a good email list via newsletter is a good way to sell affiliate products. I have not done either of these, but I'm planning to start on that for next year's project.

2 people like this

I kind of feel the same way about sponsored posts. I don't know that I would ever want to do them on my blog but I am willing to write as a paid contributor and am looking into those opportunities. I am also working on some digital products and building my list but I'm very very small right now :). I am also working on another project that does lend itself well to sponsored posts and which I'm hoping will get some for it but it is a locally focused website.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, Sabrina S said:

Oh maybe I should answer the question. I review for the Crew and Tyndale and have done a book launch or two....none of that paid other than the free product. Sometimes the product is worth $10 sometimes it is worth $300 so the "compensation" for the work varies. Also some let you use an affiliate link so you could potentially add to the earnings and others don't. I am interested in paid reviews and posts but my following really isn't large enough yet. I have been asked to consider being a paid contributor to another blog which I'd love to do so we will see how that pans out in a couple months. 

Yes it seems we are on the same journey....

I feel my time with writing needs a new dimension and not everything is money, BUT time is money and money is time, so my journey begins!!!

I guess I didn't mention who I review with either. The Review Crew, all the major Christian book companies with Tyndale, Book Look, Blogging for Books, Flybye, Frontgate Christian, Bethany, Revell, Book Crash, and a few others that are smaller companies. Yikes it sounds scary listing them all in one place but, I pace myself and certain times of the years are busier than others.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:59 AM, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

I guess I didn't mention who I review with either. The Review Crew, all the major Christian book companies with Tyndale, Book Look, Blogging for Books, Flybye, Frontgate Christian, Bethany, Revell, Book Crash, and a few others that are smaller companies. Yikes it sounds scary listing them all in one place but, I pace myself and certain times of the years are busier than others.

Wow that is quite a list!! I found this year I have been busy enough with the Crew. I signed up with Tyndale and did one review for them, did a couple for indie authors and one book launch. I was pretty swamped and haven't had time to do much other stuff on my blog that I want to do so next year I'm going to be more selective about my choices on the crew and possibly throw in a couple other things. I'd be interested in how you balance all of those different opportunities...is your blog specifically a review blog or do you write about other things in your niche as well?

I also review for the Homeschool Review Crew. This was my fifth year with the Crew. I have several reviews a month with them lately. I also review for Flyby, but those are not very often. Additionally I will receive books from Penguin and Abrams, a lot of the time I get them without notice first. I used to get some products from BlueOrange games and Educational Insights, but haven't really heard from them in a while.

I do not get any compensation beyond getting to keep the product. 

1 person likes this

On 10/17/2017 at 6:50 PM, waidekaren@gmail.com said:

Abrams, a lot of the time I get them without notice first. I used to get some products from BlueOrange games and Educational Insights, but haven't really heard from them in a while.

How did you get reviews from Abrams and BlueOrange Games and Educational Insight? Do they have a blogger sign up for them?

1 person likes this

Another option that I'm looking into is creating a product (ebook for me, could also be a class, printables pack, audio, video, so many options here) to put in a bundle. Ultimate Bundles is one I am familiar with. Also Build Your Bundle for homeschool curriculum. That would be a great way to build up an email list and make a little money at the same time. Generally you get the bundle yourself for free and you get a portion of each bundle bought as a whole. If you also sell bundles as an affiliate, you get a commission for that, too. 

1 person likes this

That's a great idea! I'm waiting to be approved as an affiliate for ultimate bundles, I really enjoy them. I would love to contribute to one but no idea right now what I would submit!!

On 10/29/2017 at 7:10 PM, Sabrina S said:

That's a great idea! I'm waiting to be approved as an affiliate for ultimate bundles, I really enjoy them. I would love to contribute to one but no idea right now what I would submit!!

I suggest going through your blog posts and pick out a theme. Put them all together into one document. Or if you do recipes, make a cookbook around a special theme. I always appreciate menu plans with recipes. Do you have a special skill that you could teach others? Write it all out. Bible studies for moms or kids are always good.

1 person likes this

I think it takes time to get to the paid in cash/ brand sponsorship level. I have made some decent amounts some months as an affiliate for companies whose products I really like, and other months it's like $2.74. I have been blogging for several years, and even as I have really gotten to feel like I have a little bit of a clue what I'm doing, it still takes time to make those right connections. 

Overall, I feel like non-homeschool companies are more willing to pay cash (or amazon gift cards) for posts or ads than homeschool companies, many of which I know operate on a super-strict budget. I was asked earlier this year if I wanted to submit an ebook to the bundles sale, but I didn't have anything at the time. I know some contributors make serious money that way, so if you have something and are asked, be sure to consider putting it in.

Just this past month I've started working with new companies, and it is still yet to be seen where that takes me. It is a process, don't get discouraged if it takes a while. Spend more time loving on your children than you do on your blog...the kids grow up fast, the blog can wait, kids can't.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, carolemmert14@gmail.com said:

I think it takes time to get to the paid in cash/ brand sponsorship level. I have made some decent amounts some months as an affiliate for companies whose products I really like, and other months it's like $2.74. I have been blogging for several years, and even as I have really gotten to feel like I have a little bit of a clue what I'm doing, it still takes time to make those right connections. 

Overall, I feel like non-homeschool companies are more willing to pay cash (or amazon gift cards) for posts or ads than homeschool companies, many of which I know operate on a super-strict budget. I was asked earlier this year if I wanted to submit an ebook to the bundles sale, but I didn't have anything at the time. I know some contributors make serious money that way, so if you have something and are asked, be sure to consider putting it in.

Just this past month I've started working with new companies, and it is still yet to be seen where that takes me. It is a process, don't get discouraged if it takes a while. Spend more time loving on your children than you do on your blog...the kids grow up fast, the blog can wait, kids can't.

All of this - so much this!  Don't forget the reason you blog as you seek review and money-making opportunities.

I've written a cookbook (not for sale until I get my blog switched to https), am an affiliate for pretty much anything we use - Amazon, curriculum, bundles, etc. and also do VA work.  The steady income is from VA work.  Reviews are mostly for product only -- so I really hope I like the product (or you could sell it, but then that feels weird after writing a review on it).  I only write as a means of sharing for reviews, recipes, homestead updates, etc. -- it is not my passion.  If writing is your passion, then there are possibilities for income.  Rosemarie Groner's website has a post or two featuring work-at-home opportunities for writers.

1 person likes this

On 10/25/2017 at 7:37 AM, reneeknob@gmail.com said:

Honestly, I have no clue how Abrams got my info, they just started sending books. BlueOrange, I contacted when I was doing a Back to School bash type thing. Same with Educational Insights. Haven't heard from either in a while though